Hello so glad to be here!

lynbo
lynbo Member Posts: 4
edited 20. Jun 2012, 04:14 in Say Hello Archive
Hi Im new on here and if I have found people with the same problems as me thank goodness!! I am 47 years old and have been in pain for over 20 years, I have psoriasis and have had a bad back for 20 years plus but as I had endometriosis they put the pain down to that, I had a total radical hysterectomy 2 years ago but the pain has not gone. I worked 40 plus hours a week as a senior carer in a residential home but since January this year I have not worked due to increased pain, the pain has increased to the point that it never goes away and it just eats away at me all the time, I cannot walk very far especially uphills, I cant stand for long or sit for long, I also have pain in my hands and feet and my fingers and toes are swollen. I recently just nursed my mother in law here at home with us as she was sadly diagnosed with a brain tumour on the 18th of April and sadly we lost her on the 18th of May she was ill just for 6 weeks. I managed this quite well but obviously the pain on moving her was awful but you just cope at the time. Anyway to cut a very long story short I went to the doctor last Friday to get my mri and ct scan results and they showed that I have a lesion in my spine and abnormalities on t1, t2, t11, t12 and l3 and while I was there I showed her the flare up of my psoriasis on my scalp and ears and told her how much worse the pain is now, it is a very bad flare up. She immediately took some bloods and said she thinks it is psoriatic arthritis so finally after 20 years of going backwards and forward I think someone is taking me seriously and she has referred me as an urgent case to a rheumatologist. If any of you can help me with what to expect or advice or if you want to talk please get in touch :)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello lynbo and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you had to wait such a dreadfully long time for your diagnosis and I hope that the rheumatologist can get you started quickly on some meds that will make a real difference.

You must be very strong mentally to be able to do the heavy work you do and also to nurse your mother-in-law.

If you have any questions (bearing in mind we are not medics, just fellow-sufferers who, between us, have a lot of experience of arthritis in all its forms) please post them on the Living With Arthritis forum. There, and Chit Chat, are where most of us hang out.

I do hope your appointment goes well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello lynbo, it's lovely to meet you and I am glad you have found us. I too have PsA but I usually lack the P part of it. I take sulphasalazine for that and it usually controls it but at the moment it's having a pop or two, namely on my ankles and soles. My toes swell too, my ankles, knees and sacro-iliacs are affected, and some upper joints too. I have been on crutches since 2002 and last December bought a four-wheeled rollator, complete with seat and that has been a boon - I can queue in shops again!

I am not surprised that your arthritis has flared, you have been dealing with a great deal of emotional and physical stress and arthritis feeds on that. At least you are now getting some answers, let's hope some medication is soon introduced to try and get things under control and that you soon find some relief from it. Diagnosis is not necessarily that straightforward but you are on the right path and that is a good thing. I wish you well and look forward to seeing your name here and there. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben