slip disc in my L5

christinac47
christinac47 Member Posts: 102
edited 3. Jul 2014, 15:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
can anyone tell me if you get alot of presure on you bottom she you be worried as this has happened in the pass week now and fine it sore to sit down and get back up.

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,396
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I haven't got this problem Christinac but I'm bumping it up in the hope that someone else can help.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • christinac47
    lindalegs wrote:
    I haven't got this problem Christinac but I'm bumping it up in the hope that someone else can help.

Luv,
    thaankyou for your help this is happeing everytime i get home from work
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Christinac,

Slipped discs are miserable for sure flower and I hope you have had that one looked at fully as its 'ok' if its prolapsed but its the inverted prolaspse ones that can be really bad.

My L4/5 was one and has been removed but I do have degenerative discs all over the back and neck and they all so hurt I don't envy you flower.

I just trying to work out do you mean could it be a slipped disc or have you got a known one?

Mine always ache and create weakness and bit giving out at certain angles with pain. The pressure its self thing is something you should really run past the medics flower. it might be that work is somehow agrivating your back and you need to maybe have a bit of time off or see if you can make work easier on the back?

I hope its not too bad today and just wondered if you mean is it one or you have one.. if you have how long ago cus its possible that wither your over doing it with sitting, bending of what ever and need to rest it a bit or else if its long term it might be the muscles have got weak as well.

Best see someone about it really. Fingers crossed it will soon be a lot easier for you. Cris x
  • christinac47
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Christinac,

Slipped discs are miserable for sure flower and I hope you have had that one looked at fully as its 'ok' if its prolapsed but its the inverted prolaspse ones that can be really bad.

My L4/5 was one and has been removed but I do have degenerative discs all over the back and neck and they all so hurt I don't envy you flower.

I just trying to work out do you mean could it be a slipped disc or have you got a known one?

Mine always ache and create weakness and bit giving out at certain angles with pain. The pressure its self thing is something you should really run past the medics flower. it might be that work is somehow agrivating your back and you need to maybe have a bit of time off or see if you can make work easier on the back?

I hope its not too bad today and just wondered if you mean is it one or you have one.. if you have how long ago cus its possible that wither your over doing it with sitting, bending of what ever and need to rest it a bit or else if its long term it might be the muscles have got weak as well.

Best see someone about it really. Fingers crossed it will soon be a lot easier for you. Cris x
    hi there i have had a mri scan and that is how i found out about my slip disc,tonights not as bad as last night but i think thats down to the weather just feeling so tierd excused and cant aford to take time of work my work is being very suportive towards my needs .i just wish it did not play up as much as am looking forward to going to turkey just to relax not been away for over 3 years.will this get worse as the docters said i had a few ware and tear disc and one was the slip disc on my L5 .
  • skezier
    Hi Christina

Glad you have had an mri and they haven't said about the cord being comprised,. Thats the really good bit flower.

You have to be kind to it though and try not to use the lumber too much for a min. Its a case of keep it moving but don't aggravate it... I had l5 removed but the l1 they didn't and I so wish they had :wink:

Its best to try and go easy on it but the numbness bit might be sciatica related? See how that goes as they can do a lot with both jabs into the spine and tablets that help block the pain receptors.

You hang in there and when you go to Turkey rest it as much as you can as it will have a chance of going back in if you do.

I do understand about not being able to stop working but try and avoid bending, lifting and also standing too long if you can.

hey when are you off and can I sneak into your bag please :lol: Cris xx
  • christinac47
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Christina

Glad you have had an mri and they haven't said about the cord being comprised,. Thats the really good bit flower.

You have to be kind to it though and try not to use the lumber too much for a min. Its a case of keep it moving but don't aggravate it... I had l5 removed but the l1 they didn't and I so wish they had :wink:

Its best to try and go easy on it but the numbness bit might be sciatica related? See how that goes as they can do a lot with both jabs into the spine and tablets that help block the pain receptors.

You hang in there and when you go to Turkey rest it as much as you can as it will have a chance of going back in if you do.
    lol i am away in the 4th of steptember but have no time to rest to many people depend on my and i stand 6 hours a day at work and just finding it a little to much to handle at the moment very tried.
    I do understand about not being able to stop working but try and avoid bending, lifting and also standing too long if you can.

hey when are you off and can I sneak into your bag please :lol: Cris xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,870
    You poor thing :(

Like Cris I have had 5 and 4 removed along with a fracture which was in there too.

Can I suggest a couple of things I do when mine is playing up??

1. I always take my anti-inflams and pain killers so that the back doesn't go into spasm.

2. I often use heat to ease it when say sitting or standing for long periods Either a wheatie or a heat pack you can buy from any supermarket.

3. I sit on a cushion when sitting - it helps and I try to sit on chairs which are highish up and if poss with arms.

Have a lovely holiday - chances are you will be better than usual.....the warmth may well HELP :) turkey is beautiful

Love

Toni xxx
  • christinac47
    frogmorton wrote:
    You poor thing :(

Like Cris I have had 5 and 4 removed along with a fracture which was in there too.

Can I suggest a couple of things I do when mine is playing up??

1. I always take my anti-inflams and pain killers so that the back doesn't go into spasm.

2. I often use heat to ease it when say sitting or standing for long periods Either a wheatie or a heat pack you can buy from any supermarket.

3. I sit on a cushion when sitting - it helps and I try to sit on chairs which are highish up and if poss with arms.

Have a lovely holiday - chances are you will be better than usual.....the warmth may well HELP :) turkey is beautiful

Love

Toni xxx
    thanks toni i can do the rest but inflamatry i can they make me ill i have a bad stomach
  • skezier
    Hi Christina

Did you get hold of the gp about the numbness? Sorry I nagging you :lol:

I have some saddle numbness but I also have nerve root damage at the lower end and a few of the periphial nerves being squashed. I know you have had the mri results but you should get the numbness looked at a bit.

It really could be sciatic related though and flower can you maybe have anti-inflammatory patches instead? They don't go near your tum and can be very effective if you can use them.

For mine I have pregabalin and oxycotins with top up oynorms but thats now and to get here I have tied most drugs along the way. The pregabs are the best for blocking the nerve pain but can be bad for your head... I am lucky as the side effects didn't last too long and as they were so good I stayed on them even though it got 'interesting' for a bit :wink:

hope its not too bad for you today and also that they are going to look at you to see whats causing the numbness. Cris xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,870
    Christina

Anti-inflams hurt my belly v badly too. So My GP prescribed two things lanzoprazole ( to 'protect' the stomach lining I think) and arcoxia a newer type (Cox2)which does not upset the stomach.

Love

Toni xxx
  • christinac47
    frogmorton wrote:
    Christina

Anti-inflams hurt my belly v badly too. So My GP prescribed two things lanzoprazole ( to 'protect' the stomach lining I think) and arcoxia a newer type (Cox2)which does not upset the stomach.

Love

Toni xxx
    thankyou for all you adivce you gave me had a great hoilday now when i have came back had taken not well again found out i have mutiecaefacation in my pelvis and a multiecystic lession stuck to my bowel and today i have over did it with housework i am in so much pain and my work has complaned about me talking about it to much but when i worrie i talk about it and its had to stop but my performance in my work is good and i am worried people are talking behind my back
  • christinac47
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Christinac,

hi there not been on for a long time I have now got L 5 and L 4 disc slip the worse thing ever they want to put and injection in my spine have you had it and have you had the operation to remove the disc as the pain relief said I will have to go in for it
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    I have had facet joint injections and I have had two spinal fusion surgeries. Most people don't actually have the entire disc removed when they have a discectomy - what is actually done is that the protruding piece of disc is trimmed away. I had my l5s1 disc removed entirely when I had that level fused, but only because a spacer was put in the place, otherwise you would be bone on bone. Seems to be a common misunderstanding of the word discectomy!

The spinal injection is often used to diagnose your pain generator - sometimes it is difficult for the surgeons to pinpoint what is causing your problems from an MRI. If it works that is often when surgery will be discussed.

It took two fusions to fix me but I haven't looked back since the last one at l4l5. I would suggest at least two opinions before opting for the op. Not all surgeons are the same.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Hi christinac47,

I don't have a slipped disc but have a fusion defect at L5 and have noticed that certain positions put pressure on my coccyx. It helps if I'm sitting in the correct position and not slouching. A cushion behind my back on the sofa has improved things.

It sounds like you've got some good advice on here and I don't have much more to add, except that I empathise with you. Back pain is horrible.
  • easyed
    easyed Member Posts: 11
    Hi Christinac
    I too have had a lot of trouble with slipped discs mine are at L3-L4 and L4-L5. The trouble is when they touch the Sciatic nerve that's when the pain really kicks in. The thing is to try and keep moving as hard as it may be just keep it gentle at first. It never really goes away that's why I am trying Palates.
    Hope things improve.
    Best wishes
    Easyed
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Hi Christinac

Had an MRI scan (at my insistance!) after suffering sciatic type pain for several months i.e burning sensation in the buttocks especially when sitting.This would then move down to the knee and/or foot.
    The scan found I had a bulging disc at L5/S1 this resulted in it impinging on the exiting L5 root,hence the pain!!
    Have had physiotherapy with 3 different therapists,had sessions with an osteopath,also hydrotherapy,massage and acupuncture!!What else can I try?
    Will discuss with my rheumatology nurse when I see her week after next.

In the meantime will resort to drink :lol:

Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • christinac47
    Hi guys thanks for the advice am just going to wait for the operation as don't like the thought of the injection so have to wait to see the spine Docter frist