Azathioprine

Options
Greenlily
Greenlily Member Posts: 18
edited 25. Jun 2012, 17:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can't see my post so will try again. Apologies if this turns up twice, perhaps I hit the wrong button.I've now been put on Azathioprine. Can anyone give any tips, experience etc as this is a completely new drug to me. Thanks :)

Comments

• Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Greenlilly I assume you have RA but you never said Azathioprine is an immune suppressant it helps keep down those cells that cause the problem think they are your T ans C cells sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong. They are used in several types of treatment for several different things and Similar to the Anti TNFs. Best thing to do is have a good read of the paperwork or see if it is on the net. As for side effects all medications dont have the same effects on all people.
    Hope this was of some help.

Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Green Lilly,

I can't help with this drug as though mentioned once or twice I have never been on it so wanted to both wish you luck and hope that it will work and work well for you. I also bumping this back up and hopefully someone who is on it will come along soon. Fingers crossed it will help. Cris x
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi I have inflammatory arthritis and lupus/sjorgens. I have been on azathiaprione for about 4 months now. It is supposed to take up to 6 months to start working. I have had no side effects, I have been fortunate. It worked well, until I started to decrease the streoids, which is when it went pear shaped. However, I am only on 100mg and it can be increased.

I hope it works for you.
  • Greenlily
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes I am an auto-immune person and RA is it's latest manifestation. I have been on steroids since 1996 and the RA dept are keen to get me off but like Suzygirl I'm nervous of dropping them altogether as nasty things happen when I get too low. The problem is when yu've had bottle steroids for so long your body doesn't make its own. Hence when I've been too clever and tried to wing it by dropping my dose I've come badly unstuck. So we'll have to see whether this new wonder drug delivers. I'm only on 25mg at the moment to make sure it doesn't make me come out in spots etc....I'll Google it and seewhat wiki comes up with. :wink: But there's nothing like first hand experience! :D
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    I was on azathioprine for a year and half, and that, in conjunction with hydroxychlorquine, Humira and prednisolone, made me the most well I've been in years. I had to come off it because it decimated my white count, neutrophils and lymphocytes. Make sure you have regular blood tests and these things can happen very quickly. I was having bloods done every 2 weeks. My starting dose was 50g and when I came off it I was taking 200mg. I still rate it as one of the best drugs I've ever been on. I don't remember any other serious side-effects either.

Good luck with it
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello Greenlily,

Azathiroprine certainly has worked for me
    I was bunged on it in an emergency situation involving
    another long term condition in November 2010 and taken off
    humira. It also works for ra, but that is currently flaring badly
    and I expect to go back on humira soon. The downside to that
    is that humira affects my immune system more heavily that
    azathiroprine.
    I'd certainly give azathiroprine a go.
    Take care.
  • Greenlily
    Options
    Hi Colin, ichabod and scattered thanks for your replies they are really helpful. I'm only started on a very low dose 1, because i'm not very big and 2, obviously they want to check for problems first. I had a nasty sinus/head abscess with metho 2years ago and minocycline gave me vertigo so haven't been on any anti ra drugs since except for pred which I've had orally since 1996 for oesinophylia and as injections in my back for slipped vertebra pain.
    Started RA about 6 years ago- mainly in small bones of hands and feet- but they are very sore despite present meds. Hopefully this stuff will help. Hosp said fortnightly blood tests. GP checked NICE and says weekly so hopefully that'll be covered ok. I go back in a month to RA clinic. Told effect is 6-12 weeks rather than 6 months so will see. Told to keep out of sun which is a bit of a bind coz I'm a gardener... :roll: . Some serious cancer effects are not trivial which have given me pause for thought :? :? Anyhow first blood test on Fri and will take it from there.
    Slosh on the suncream and outside I go-- first time for weeks I haven't needed wellies :D:D Regards and best wishes