LANSOPROZOLE REFLUX & MY GUTS - VETERANS ONLY

Options
earthspirit
earthspirit Bots Posts: 278
edited 25. Jun 2012, 09:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
ok as some of you might be working out i have a "nned to know" about everything.....had the lans and all the rest before but never took them cos day 1 was always sick churning guts.

i have had them a few days now and wow feels like sumbody got a traintrack in my stomach and intestines - backwards and forwards trundling around...you get the drift?

so anyhow i have reflux, that silent type that makes you have a boomph in your chest. ive never really ever had indegestion heartburn or other things like that apart from maybe in 1970 i had acid in the back of my throat from drinking cider and having greasy chips and stuff together.

so i dont really know what might be happening as these pills get to work. is what im feeling because they are healing sore bits inside or what??

ive been 12 yrs on ibuprofen which changed to diclofenac 18months ago and the probably cause of the reflux. brufen doesnt do the job any more and i dont feel like stopping diclofenac as they seem so effective in removing swelling and reduce pain (along with the paracetamol & dihydrocodeine)

so anyway folks, in my need to know condition, please tell me what these things are doing, in your own words and own time

cheers :?

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    All I know is that lans or omneprozol should be taken with any long term anti inflamm. {Ibroprufon/naproxen/diclofenic}
    I was originally on diclofenic and knew nothing about stomach protectors until I read it here.
    I mentioned it to my doc who said Oh OK I suppose if you want them I'll prescribe them...Needless to say I have a new GP now :wink:
    Am now on naproxen insead of diclofenic and lans instead of omneprozol.
    I've had no side effects from them......just hope they are doing what the label says :lol: protecting me from ulcers etc.
    I'm one of those people who need to know everything :wink:
    Probably not much help to you but no doubt someone will be along soon with a more detailed explaination
    Love
    Hileena
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Im my own words Some meds we take do damage our tummy and can cause some quite bad things. Have you had a endescopy. I take a great many tablets some of them bad for the tuimmy so i'm on the Lans to been on them for years for various things and reasons. One thing is for sure if i dont follow instructions i'm in for a bad day. Thats taking them an hour befor you eat or take your meds if i dont i have pain all day. If you have been missing them out perhaps they need a little time to build up in your system but make sure you take them that hour befor. I take mine about 7am with a glass of water to keep the hunger pangs off i dont even have a cup of tea. If they keep causing you problems go back and talk to your GP lots of other options.
    Take care hope they start working for you
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Do you mean that you are suffering from diarrhoea since taking Lanso? This can be a side effect as I unfortunately found out when I decided to start back on them recently. Thank goodness for imodium. :wink: On stopping taking the Lanso, the diarrhoea ended very quickly. If you do not mean that, then ignore my reply.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    I agree with Colin......dont forget to take them beofre anything else.
    I take mine before getting ready.....got to admit I have a cup of lemon tea at the same time :oops: I know I shouldnt but I cant cope for an hour without a cuppa :lol:
    Love
    Hileena
  • SteveBurns
    SteveBurns Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Hi I've been on lansoprazole for ten years and never had a problem.

I had the old camera down to my stomach and showed a sliding hiatus hernia allowing acid up through the space into the tube, that was burning the surface away (ouch).

The Lansoprazole has well sorted that out.

I agree with follow the instructions, I always do. I take mine first thing whatever time I get up. Sometimes the missus brings a cuppa in bed, bless her, and I take the lanzy just as soon as I remember.

I don't have to wait 1 hour before eating, just get on with it. I know if I've forgotten to take it as it makes me bring up lots of acid. I don't often forget but when I do, I take it as soon as I can and it works.

No side affects at all, but other meds do change the old ablutions.

Not a nice subject really is it.

Take care and good luck. :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    All that lansop, and omep, have ever done or me is prevent tummy troubles not cause them.

You write 'i have reflux, that silent type that makes you have a boomph in your chest. ive never really ever had indegestion heartburn or other things like that Have you had a camera down there, earthspirit, because that's how they diagnosed my silent reflux? They then gave me gallons of Gaviscon Advance but, if you've not been prescribed this better not take it as, theoretically it shouldn't be mixed with lansop.

I must say, reading Elna's post, that it sounds like diarrhoea to me too.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I'm very similar to Sticky in that I have silent reflux diagnosed with a camera up my nose and down into my throat.

I take a 'maintenance' dose of 15mg Lansaprozole in the morning 1 hour before I eat. I get no side effects. If I chose to leave off a dose I get acid in the back of my throat after strong coffee or the evening meal.

I was also prescribed Gaviscon Advance but that was before the Lanz. I haven't needed Gaviscon since being on Lanz.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • Saphire
    Saphire Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been taking Lansaprozole for just over four years, no problems with them so far but soon know about it if I ever miss it and eat.
    Saph
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Earthspirit,

All of them, no matter what the active drug is, are pump inhibitors designed to reduce the amount of acid in the stomach. The anti flams we take can make the stomach lining thinner and the normal or increased acid build d up that come on the back of some o the tablets can lead to the lining being damaged. Ie an ulcer.

I was on omoprozole, then lanzop and when that started not to be enough I got big problems before being pout on the nexium at 40mg 2x a day so if you are having trouble its best to get it checked out asap.

Not sure what you actually mean by your gut churning? The stomach tablets can sometimes cause dioraha cus they will use such cheap things for the otter capsule case. the nexium doesn't have a capsule either but they are very expensive and not so easy to get. Thankfully I got them as by then I have the barrettes and the grade3 inflammation in the oesophagus.

If you have an ulcer its like very painful hunger pains that draw for a bit and stop but them draw again. They react big time with food and liquids and well it really does hurt. If you think there is a problem you really should get it checked out. Cris x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i get trouble when i eat to soon after taking them i must admit so when in hurry and not got an hour miss them out or hit trouble but most often try to be sencible (as much as i get) good luck if carrys on see gp try another that might suit you better val
    val
  • earthspirit
    Options
    some really helpful informative answers there!

i reckon i probably do have ulcers or something. when i go to doctor nowadays i ask so many questions and they probably feel like they are being subjected to a test from a mystery patient. (you know, like the mystery shopper) whenn it came to the stomach bit the dr just said yes there is robably something going on. i did not present as a person greatly troubled by their stomach - like i said no heartburn or acid in the throat and not real pain i stomach but more mild discomfort.

taking pain killers for years for my neck has probably masked some of the more mild to moderate pain from other conditions.

my diet for a few months of this year has been coffee cigarettes ensure plus drink & lots and lots of pain killers. ive got to have some damage eh??

nobody is putting an endocsope down my throat. ive had it done years ago and ended upwith a nose/thoat bleed because despite the spray it enduced a panic attack, where i was retching so much. i was also sedated and that did not help. since foud out i have a very very sensitive palate & also previous neck damage created issues with nerves whihch now dont work and i have a slight issue with the swallow reflex.

maybe i should ask to have a barium done even though they are not as effective OR maybe i should just accept the fact that i do have ulcers and that the lans will help to heal those and prevent more??

i havent got the runs but within about 20 mins of taking them it feels like they are touching slightly sensitive points of my lower oesoph/stomach/intestine............now i think i need to go and google "how ulcers heal" :lol:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hey the ulcers don;t respond to the pain meds, lol they hurt more when you take them

Cure.... you up the stomach tablets and often have a change though the lanzop is a better one.

If you really do think you have an ulcer please get it checked out. They don't automatically do an endo on you but they can do something with the meds straight away. Cris x
  • earthspirit
    Options
    im on 1 x lanso 30mg and i think i must have something troubling me cos i have just had can of pepsi and i can feel it burning on little bits inside.
    i also am well aware that many of the public have the helicobacter infection in stomach and this makes them prone to ulcers. i had a partner with this and cross infection is very common.

i shall make a dr appt next week and see if they can do barium check before i get back down to london in few weeks.

thanks everybody, for help
  • succotash
    succotash Member Posts: 83
    Options
    You really should go and see your doctor. I have been taking lansoprazole for years due to reflux. When I had pain and grumblings I was told it was an ulcer and probably IBS and the only treatment for it was to take lansoprazole and to avoid irritating foods and drink. I did this for over a year and it didnt get better. I then had an endoscopy and there was no ulcer or scar tissue. However a scan showed up gallstones!

Gallbaldder is now removed and I no longer get the pains and grumbles but do still take lansoprazole becasue of the ibuprofen now.

Not saying this is what you have but do get it checked out and ask every question you can!
    How come I'm over the hill and rapidly going down it, when I don't even recall reaching the summit?
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Earthspirit

I am so sorry you feel so rough. It too was a brufen taker for around 2o years+ I can't take them oR diclos as they do my belly in big bad style :(

Lanzop I take at 30MG don't know your dosage, but agree with those who suggest it may be an idea to have achat to someone who knows....my suggestion is always the pharmacist first, but that's because mine is lovely :D

Love and luck

Toni xxx