BENIFITS and work are crap.

Options
mumoftwoboys
mumoftwoboys Member Posts: 24
edited 27. Jun 2012, 10:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi. i was self employed but didnt do that well and didnt pay NI or TAX. i applied for ESA last year (feb/march) and was paid over a £1000. untill they came to a decision. Then in april i was told that i wasnt entitled to anything as i hadnt paid enough tax (contribution based) and that i wasnt entitled to anything (income based) as my husband worked. he only works 18 hours.
I went to the job centre to see if i could get JSA and was told i was entitled to that as my husband worked.
I said it was me looking for a job NOT my husband and i was told ..because we are classed as a family unit i wasnt getting a penny.
ITS CRAP..
I have a job now but its killing me. i work 3 days but its 9.5 hours a day. i had a sick day last week and got a right gob full of the others saying i was letting the team down and i wasnt bothered about the job. I hate it. I went in to see them and clear the air and i just cried so this made it worse. I really dont want to go back and they dont really want me there but i need the money.
Im soo down at the noment...
All you looking to claim DLA, ESA or other benefits GOOD LUCK and my fingers are crossed for you

Comments

• pinkbritishstars
    pinkbritishstars Member Posts: 731
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    just wanted to send you some hugs xxxx
  • mumoftwoboys
    mumoftwoboys Member Posts: 24
    Options
    thanks love. x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    If you are a couple they take your husband/partners income into account when trying to claim some benefits. Some benefits you can get for a short period if you've paid enough NI contributions in the 2 tax years previously.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Saphire
    Saphire Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi, I just wanted to say I really feel for you. It must be so difficult when this illness turns everything upside down when you have a young family. I am new to this forum and have recently had to take early retirement so apart from a very small pension still trying to find my way around the benefits system. Seems to me applying for these is a job in itself, yet alone trying to hold down a job. Hope others are able to give you more advice re your teaching job.
    Saph x
  • Avrielle
    Avrielle Member Posts: 182
    Options
    Oh that is a horrid situation! (((Hugs)))

All I can suggest is taking a shot at claiming for DLA as I *think* it is a benefit that isn't affected by how much you or your family earn. Not sure though, so don't quote me on that, but it is worth a pop at going for it and I believe you can claim DLA while working too.
    Life is just a ride. Up and down, round and around, thrills and chills, very brightly coloured and very loud. But don't ever be afraid, because it is just a ride.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Would you qualify for working tax credits? Between you you have to work 24 hours with 1 person working at least 16-you've said your Husband works 18.

Joint earnings can reduce entitlement. it is possible your joint earnings are below the threshold.

I know my Daughter left her job last year-due to ill health and was told her boyfriend had to provide for her. She couldn't get JSA because she was unwell so they said she wasn't looking for work but she wasn't ill enough to qualify for esa or DLA.

Could you possibly cut your hours down in your current job? I know this is unlikely but if you could I'm sure that would help health wise although not income wise. It is a catch 22.

E x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hello MoTBs :)

i am so sorry to hear how awful work is for you :( Clearly 9.5 hours is too much for you at the moment isn't it?

Have you had a chat to CAB? i only say this as they may think of something you yourself hadn't thought of??

In the meantime

Love and ((((())))

toni xxx
  • lazicat
    lazicat Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Hi There.
    You can apply for DLA even if you & your partner work , it isnt means tested at all. There is a mobility part & a care part & different levels of payment. If you get that , you may then be able to claim other benefits, help towards council tax & working family tax credits.
    Just remember that when you complete the DLA form complete it as if its your worst day all days. There are lots of guidelines & help online with the form & what to say. Also make sure you give them plenty of information, all your visits to hospital/GP etc. Its how your life is affected not what your actual illness is that counts. to receive this DLA benefit
    The form looks very daunting & you keep repeating the same info over & over, but you must do it as the more you wrtite the more they have to read & it all helps !
    Also try your local CAB as Im sure they will be able to help you.
    Good Luck