Positive post!

Options
Harlansmummy
Harlansmummy Member Posts: 89
edited 27. Jun 2012, 06:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Because of the replies to my post about hobbies and sport, I have just sent a message to a local wheelchair basketball team. I used to love sport, but couldn't do much able bodied sport yet don't feel disabled enough to do disabled sport... am I making any sense? :lol: But I have just messaged them (they have a Facebook page) and explained that I can walk a short way and only use a wheelchair part time, and have asked if I could meet them and talk some more :D
Twenty-something mother, home educating my wonderful son and currently TTC.

My particular flavour of arthritis is yet to be confirmed

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done you thats a really positive thing to do,hope it works out for you.Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Well done, Harlan'smummy. I applied to Riding for the Disabled about 12 years ago, thinking they were probably only for kids but I'd nothing to lose. I loved every minute of it and I hope you do too.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Good for you....It makes you feel so much better when you do positive things....doesn't it?
    Hope it works out for you....if not....you've taken the first step so this might lead to other things.
    Love
    Hileena
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Great to hear some good news.
    I go to the pool, about every other day - bit addicted.
    You pay £10 for a card, after that provided you go 'off peak' time its free. I don't go fast and I can't swim properly, but boy do I love that pool.
    Hope you get lots of enjoyment from the basketball H's Mummy!
  • earthspirit
    earthspirit Bots Posts: 278
    Options
    congratulations and the very best of luck. hopefully this will be something new in your life which helps you regain strength and confidence.
    i used to fundraise for the british paraplegic association and it was inspiring to watch these guys & girls.

have just watched athletics on tv, qualifiers for olympics which i am looking forwards to much. come on team gb!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Well done. I hope you have many happy hours playing basketball.
    Christine
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Harlansmummy

what a brilliant idea and you made perfect sense to me with the not feeling you are bit.... I really hope they will get back to you soon and you will find you can do that again :D

Such a nice post to read and thanks for sharing with us Cris x
  • Saphire
    Saphire Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi there,
    Just wanted to say that I am pleased you are feeling a bit more positive. Since feeling so unwell myself I have made a deal with myself that if I can do but one thing positive each day, even if it is a very small thing then I am doing ok. Saph x
  • Harlansmummy
    Harlansmummy Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone :-) I went to the pool today too, they run an aquafit class for people with arthritis. I am the youngest by about 40 years LOL but they are lovely and I really enjoyed it. I noticed though that I have lost quite a lot of movement since I stopped going last year so I am determined to go at least once a week.

Arthur will not win!! :wink:
    Twenty-something mother, home educating my wonderful son and currently TTC.

My particular flavour of arthritis is yet to be confirmed
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Wow

Harlansmummy :D

fabulous news I am so pleased for you.

love

toni xx

PS yes arthur will not win :wink:
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Yes

well done i'm really proud of you .

karen.
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Well done matey
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Harlansmummy,

Oh you can't let it win flower.... It wont... you might have to adapt a bit but it will never win!

Thats one of my moto's anyway :lol:

Hope they will get back to you and well done on the swimming thing... I no longer have enough confidence except mostly dressed and in the sea :lol:

Keep on fighting back but be kind to your self as well.... that's what I keep being told :wink: Cris xx
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Well done Harlansmummy :D
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Glad you've took the first steps to your new life, I've found since Arther came into my life and I decided I wasn't going to let it win I've changed a lot! People who know me and family members have said I've become more confident and if something stands in my way I don't give up easy I find a way round it, and I have a tuffer bravardo if someone upsets me I stand up for myself (the old me would have hid away). And my style has changed I like my hair red, my natural colour is black. And I wear more modern styles of clothes and I love to dress up for a night out and stand out in a crowd, before I was plain Jane! And my OH & I love cruise holidays and seeing the world. I'd say since I changed (because my world was turned upside down) a little of it has rubbed off on my OH he's a lot more crazier than when I met him! Not that he was the shy retiring type anyway!