Occupational Therapy???

Options
gilly1957
gilly1957 Member Posts: 212
edited 26. Jun 2012, 11:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Its me again....i have OA in my lumber spine mainly, I'm thinking of refering myself by ringing social services to occupational therapy.
I've done some research and answered questions on-line on Blackpools website for occ therapy and it looks like a couple of aids would be useful, mainly a perching stool, im in a lot of pain when washing up/ironing/prepping veg.....

I keep thinking I'l do it today but change my mind, I think its cos I feel like its giving in...and accepting my condition.....how stupid is that......?? :roll: :roll:

Comments

• Harlansmummy
    Harlansmummy Member Posts: 89
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Same here but I have promised myself that when we move house in the next few months, I will get them out to the new house.

I know it feels like giving in, but in reality the aids they give you will help you do more stuff for yourself, so it is actually fighting the disease.
    Twenty-something mother, home educating my wonderful son and currently TTC.

My particular flavour of arthritis is yet to be confirmed
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi gilly
    You go for it, far from giving in you are just making life a little easier, but I do understand what you are saying, I have a stool that i got from Ikea, and a couple of grab rails , but there is so much more that could be of help to you, and you will think why didnt I do this earlier...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    It is stupid, gilly1957, and we've all done it. I did it for years. I was prepared to have an electric mixer because that was mainstream but not lever taps because, at the time, they weren't. How stupid is that? Especially as my hands and wrists were in a real mess at the time. Go for it. get what you need. You'll have more energy and strength left for more important stuff.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Yes you go for it.....I went through this myself with mobility aids.....eg scooter.
    I felt I was giving in when my daughter {late 20's then} said mam its a coping device....its not giving in...its letting you do things you wouldnt be able to do without it." :shock:
    Talk about role reversal :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    have you done it yet Gilly?

I hope so as the Ots are usually lovely :)

think how it will ADD to your independence....doing your ironing easier and veggie peeling etc :)

b080.gif borrrow my phone :wink:
    take care

Love

Toni xxx
  • gilly1957
    Options
    Hi all

thank you all for your replies,i had to go out today,but will phone tomorrow to start ball rolling, i know its selfish but its nice to know others have felt the same :)

IL let you know how i get on :)
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Gilly, Have you made the call yet? you should take 5mins out your day and make the call! It will be the best 5mins you will have done for a long time! I was like you just over 7yrs felt I didn't need any help till ended up in A & E after a silly fall! Broke my metatarsill and ended up in plaster! That taught me a big lesson stop thinking I'm invinsable! Now whatever help that will make my life easier and safer take it! As for the perching stool, great idea means I can sit and brush my teeth properly and help OH in kitchen with washing up and preparing dinner. Best invention ever! Make the call!!!
  • gilly1957
    Options
    Hi bubbad...

thanks again for messages....yes I've phoned social services and Im now waiting on a call/letter from occupational therapy.....

Not sure how long it will be, I was told there is probably a waiting list, but I have started the ball rolling.

Gill
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    well done Gill.
    I hope they contact you soon.. I'm another that refused things for a long time. Think we've all been guilty of that one lol

Best wishes :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP