New Job & Joints

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 29. Jun 2012, 09:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I'm delighted to be able to say I've been moved from the job I hated doing and early July begin my new role whereby I'll be part of a team supporting adults who are deaf/blind. I'm really looking forward to this as I'll be able to use all my skills in this role. In the meantime I'm having a couple of weeks rest.

Had a very good appt with Occupational Health who unfortunately has now described my condition as 'chronic'. I knew it of course, but having it said and then seeing it in an Occy Health report doesn't make you feel any better does it? They've also said that long-term I need to be working ona 4-day a week basis so it's been agreed that once I've settled into my new role my line manager and I will sit down and work out how best to fit my 4-days a week around my needs and the service users' needs. So all good at the moment - thankfully.

I've had wonderful support recently by my partner (bless him), my officers who I was looking after until February this year, my very valued local friends plus of course my friends on this forum. I have to say without that support I'd have struggled to have got through the last 6 weeks or so.

Seeing a pain consultant on Friday to discuss my spinal steroid jabs, podiatrist Wednesday to get my orthotics started and those with other things going on mean I have a busy week ahead. Still waiting for appt to have my ankle x-ray guided (in theatre) steroid jabs. I'll look like a pin cushion at this rate! I thought you could only have three steroiod jabs in a year but have been told by my ankle consultant that it's three jabs per joint per year.

(Have yet to tell the cat that i'm about to organise her yearly visit to the vets - she doesn't like the word 'v-e-t').

Hope you all have as good a week as you can. Take care.
GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    wow what a lot going on great about new job will give you a lift as for rest good luck val
    val
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Grace
    That is such good news...it must have been a shock seeing chronic on your report, but dont forget that is just a word, put it to the back of your mind, have a good rest and make the most of your new job.
    What a difference good support makes , I really do wish you well with your new job and life itself xx
    And dont forget we need updates :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • Heather65
    Heather65 Member Posts: 262
    Options
    hi grace,
    sounds like you are getting your life back on track ,its good being in a job you enjoy it makes all the difference and if they can work around you even better ,enjoy your few weeks rest ,
    Heather :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    It's lovely to hear from you, Graceb. The job sounds to be exactly what you wanted and I hope all goes well and you manage to get hours sorted with Occy Health.

Yes, I agree, there are some words one doesn't wish to see applied to oneself.'chronic' doesn't sound good. In my case it was 'disabled' that I hated. (Not me. I can't walk far, run at all, peel potatoes, pick stuff up from the floor or get into the bath unaided but I'm not disabled: just a bit stiff :roll:)

I hope all your appointments go well (Please keep us updated), including the cat's. (We could never get ours into the box to take her to the vets. She'd do a runner at the sight of it. However, once there she'd stage a sit in.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your kind feedback.

Sticky - I know what you mean about the cats in boxes at the vets. By the time we get ours out of the boxes they're at 90 degree angles so said cat doesn't have anything left to hang onto and does - as far as possible - a dignified slide out of the box. Mind you, it's a different story boxing them up to come up - they're both like Speedy Gonzales!

GraceB
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Hello Grace.
    you have done well try not to work too hard.
    good luck with the injections.
    please let us know how you get on.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Grace

Fantastic news :D the new job sounds great and even better to hear how supportive they already are :) 4 days is going to be a real help :)

I am over the moon and am certain that you will really enjoy working with that client group (and they with you :).

It IS horrible to think of having a chronic condition, but I suppose arthritis is :(

Hope all goes well with the remaining appointments for you and teh jabs make a difference.

EXTRA good luck with PUSS :shock:

Love

Toni xxx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Good luck with the new job and on taking the cat to the v e t s.Mig
  • earthspirit
    earthspirit Bots Posts: 278
    Options
    hi grace im new to the forum but hope you have a great summer now you seem to have order in the treatment of your work and health.

it does sound like you have amazing support and that makes a big difference from those who are going it alone a lot of time.

you sound like you have a long history of pain and discomfort so i hope 2012 is a good year for you! 8)
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Grace,

I am so pleased to read your not working in that horrible environment now :D Well done you!

The pain doc on Friday.. Mine is brilliant and has done so much to hekp so with luck you will have as good from yours. I really do hope so.

Had loads of the spinal jabs, blocks, botox etc and it always helps to some degree. She also helped sort out some ligacaine patches (my skin can sometimes feel like its been flayed) and they check the meds to see if your on the right types and combo's/

What time you gong as I am up for pocket duties if you need.

Really am pleased you ave had hep through the last 6 week and so hope it will all get easier for you now. Cris xx
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thanks everyone - much appreciate your support.

Pain clinic appt this morning went reasonably okay although he's now confirmed that not only are my S5/L1 sacral joints involved but L4 as well! Oh well.

Four spinal injections will be done within the next 12 weeks, and I'll be at the hospital for about half a day. Trying to get an appt for the hospital in the town where I live to avoid having a 45 minute drive if at all possible.

No timescale yet for ankle injections. It'd be wonderful if they could all (spinal and the ankle jabs) be done at the same time but I don't for one moment expect that'll happen. (Different consultants for one thing so I'm not really expecting 'joined up writing' here.

Hope you've all had a good week. Here's hoping that the weekend is a dry one for everyone and hope none of you have been flooded out with this terrible rain we've been having.

Take care,
    GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello GraceB, I apologise for being late to this. :oops: I am so pleased that you have been able to alter your job for summat a little more suitable but which still challenges your professional skills, that is good news. I wish you well with that and with everything else that you have coming up in the very near future. Take care and please let us know how you get on, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben