feeling blue

Options
merri
merri Member Posts: 190
edited 27. Jun 2012, 06:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
I try to be upbeat as possible about this blasted condition, but I'm struggling at the minute. I've caught a virus which luckily seems to be on its way out now but has caused a flare up. What is making it worse is that about 18 ago it *only* effected my neck, shoulders, knees and hips. 12 months ago my hands started to be effected, 4 months ago my elbows joined in and now my ankles and feet are showing the same familiar symptoms.

I try so hard to be positive but its so hard. I just get used to one thing and then something else adds to it. My joints have started to lock as well now and its.scaring me how quickly I seem to be getting worse. My rheumatologist is lovely but despite me having the ra indicator, constantly high esr and cp readings he only put me on methotrexate as a last resort, which did help and I think has helped to keep me as stable as I have been,but I'm scared that if I tell him about the changesx he might discharge me as he made it clear that this was the last resort.

Comments

• earthspirit
    earthspirit Bots Posts: 278
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    sorry you are in so much pain. from what im reading the meth was only a start to your treatment and if you do have RA there are many drug options available as the others on this forum will tell you.

im not sure what he meant as a last resort? sometimes flares will go on their own and you can find yourself back to your normal self again without any treatment but meth is a start not an end.

hope you get some help soon and do tell your rheumatologist about the increase in joint pains. - your starting point seemed bad enough and it would appear that the inflamtion in your body is on the increase.

hoped others here will provide more indepth info for you
  • merri
    Options
    Hi Earthspirit thanks for replying. The rheumatologist has only said he thinks he might be a form of inflammatory arthritis, but tried me with steroid injections and diclofenac first, which didn't have much of an effect. The sensible part of me knows that he takes m seriously so tells me not to fret, anxiety caused by the pain has my brain running riot. stupid I know.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I'm sorry you're in so much pain, merri. I'm with earthspirit in that I'm not sure what your rheumatologist meant by 'last resort' as usually meth is a first choice option. Yours seems to have helped but, as so often happens with viruses, it is insufficient to control a flare.

My advice would be to ring your rheumatology helpline. Mine usually tend to offer steroid jabs in a situation like yours but your rheumatologist might want to up the meth or add something else to the mix. This is all perfectly normal and a far, far better option than letting the disease get the upper hand. In your situation I'd ring them tomorrow.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    hi Merri..
    Staying positive is a great thing, but not an easy one.
    I'm not sure why the rheumy would have said last resort. I'm sure there are more things to try.
    There are combinations of various ones they can try..

Keep posting, and best wishes...
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • merri
    Options
    Thank you ever so much for the replies,I feel like I have a plan for tomorrow now and don't feel as lost :) I won't be able to get hold of the consultant but will ring the rheumatology nurses to see what they advise.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Merri
    Here's some hugs to keep you going (((((())))) I wish I could help more, but I do hope you get some relief very soon xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    hope they can help Merri :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Merri,

Its not always easy to be positive but it will come back and better days are just around the corner. A cyber ((( ))) and a hope today as it now is will be kinder to you. Cris x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Merri, I hope that your rhummey can help and woun't discharge you. I know you must feel at the end of your tether but this is what I say to people you have two roads to choose from either the one road which is give up become defeated crawl in the corner and be depressed. Or the other road which is fight this horrible illness don't let it win, be positive. Do what I do see it as a test, everything that's thrown at you is to see how much you can take and you need to say 'no chance I'm not going to break, I'm going to live my life, I'm going to do what I want!' every morning when you wake up you look in the mirror and say that to your self a sort of mantra if you want.
    Send you a big (((HUG)))