Options
Jenny1
Jenny1 Member Posts: 17
edited 30. Jun 2012, 08:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
Have been having trouble with my joints over the last two years.My hips flared up first and I have ended up with a bursitis on my hip whichis easilt aggravated.I had a lot of lower back pain and had an MRI which showed degeneration.I then began to have pain in my upper back and neck.Had a scan of my upper spine and it too is degenerated throughout.I tested positive for ANA but not rheumatoid and my ESR is normal.I have a lot of tiredness too.Anything out of my ordinary routine and I am completely knackered.I saw a rheumatologist and was told it was wear and tear though a lot for my age and to have physio,keep moving and here's a prescription for anti inflammatories.I try to avoid them as they upsetmy stomach.I am doing my best but feeling quite down about it at the moment as I'm only thirty and feel ninety.I'm scared too of things getting worse.Any advice on things I can do avoid this.Thanks :D

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jenny,

Welcome to the forum and sorry you have all this gong on for you. I know what you mean about the anti-inflammatory but flower they can really help and I have been on the since my teens....

Though ask your gp for a protester if you do take them.

I have a lot of degeneration in both neck, spine and hips and the best thing is to listen to your body but keep the muscles as strong as you an as they help big time they really do.

I kinda think the physio will give you a few exercises but keeping the back as supple as you can is a good idea... On the top of the page its says about arthritis...

Click on that ad there are some very good back exercises as well as a lot of info as sometimes to know your enemy is the best way to get your head round it all.

When the fatigue hits... you sort of develop a way of working with it if that makes sense? I charge it head on and as a result it kicks me at times and I just sit and fall asleep for a bit.... I not too good at pacing and really I have never mastered acceptance but both of those things do really help.....

I know the theory just not so good at doing it :roll:

Jenny I know how scary t is when your young, might be an old hag now but I really did get it young and felt scared and very cheated! Those feelings will ease as you realise that nothing has really changed and all that's happened is you know what is wrong.

You will cope with what ever happens but I promise you that how ever bad you think it will be its not..... It really isn't as bad as you fear....

Life changes and you learn to adapt. I always find a way round most things but as I said I am not so good at listening to the body or the bones... and they play rough if you have a total disregard of them :wink:

Seriously think about the anti-flams.... They really can help and there are pain killers as well that can help you and though its a horrible thought to take them it can make life a lot easier.

There is a helpline here as well (number at the top of the page) and they can help with talking stuff through and might be worth you giving them a call.

Have they offered you jabs for the bursitis? Sometimes they can really help.

Hang in there flower and I promise you its not as bad as you fear and it does get easier as you learn to work with it. Nice to meet you and a cyber ((( ))). Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Hi Jenny

anti-inflams really upset my stomach too, but I now take arcoxia (a Cox2 inhibitor) which does the same and does not upset my stomach. It is the most useful medication for me and really helps reduce inflamation and pain and fever.A lot of us also take something like lanzoprazole or omeprazole to line our stomachs.(well something like that!!)

I think you would benefit from keeping a pain diary while this is going on because it will be useful for all medical people who are involved in your future care - physiotherapists etc

Cris has given you some great advice - like me she has had back/neck problems since very young and both of us have had surgery.

You take care

Love

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hello Jenny1 and welcome from me too. You’ve got some good advice there from skezier and frogmorton who both know all about back pain.

Mine’s RA but OA sets in too with that so I have ‘wear and tear’ too. The anti-inflamms will help but you do need a stomach protector with them. It’s very important as the anti-inflamms do a good job but you don’t want stomach problems too.

The other important thing is exercise as strong muscles support the joints which make them hurt less. There is a booklet on exercises in the ‘Publications and Resources’ section (top of page). Swimming and cycling are considered ‘good’ forms of exercise as they don’t put stress on the joints. However, I just do the boring old exercises thing but they really help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i know it hard but keep moving it can not be said enough wheat bags help and ice wraped in cloth if and swelling good luck val
    val
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hello Jenny and welcome. The advise you have been given is important....excersise...well...its an effort some days but very important.
    Saying that so is resting. Just listen to your body. Some days I take my dogs for a longish walk and other times they are lucky to get a run round the block.I know sometimes I overdo it...we all do and then its payback.
    You can get some anti inflams via a patch that won't upset your stomach.
    I hope you get something that will help soon.....May
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Jenny welcome to Arthritis Care, I too was hit with it at a young age so I know how scared you must feel, but what what Chris (the wise one!) has told you is the best thing for you. I would listen to what she said and go from there. But remember we are all here on the forum and we do try and look after each other on here so if you want some advice or a question answering don't hesitate to post it and we shall try and help you. Welcome again you made the right decision!
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Hi Jenny,

I'm 32, I've had arthritis since I was 21 so I understand that feeling of shock and horror at waking up feeling 90 and in need of more sleep! It isn't fun and sometimes feels quite isolating and lonely. You aren't alone though, I too shall be staggering out of bed tomorrow morning feeling 90, holding on to whatever I can to keep balance and adjusting my day accordingly (whilst probably muttering under my breath) as will loads of others on here.

Fatigue makes me feel like I view the world from underwater and it isnt nice. I detest that woolly headed, broken body feeling, nightmare isn't it and soooo hard to understand properly?! I thought I was plain insane the first time it caught me - it seemed so illogical and wrong. Moving really helps with stiffness which makes the fatigue worse and doing all i can to maintain a pattern of sleeping at night seems to help stop it getting out of hand as badly at the mo. It makes me a bit panicky sometimes, like I suddenly pulled out of the human race but once the worry settles I know the journey is set to continue after however long it takes to get things sorted. You say anuthing beyond your routine is a problem - have you reviewed your routine to make sure there is nothing in there that is adding to the problem? I know when I went from working in an office 5 days a week to doing some home working, stopping travelling to meetings and taking friday afternoons off, the whole world changed and life got soooooo much better for me :D

I also had problems with anti-inflammatories - go and tell your GP/ Rheumatologist what they do to you because I have always been told that they need to be taken regularly to be really beneficial, not ad hoc, so they can build up in your system. If they upset your tum you can't do that and so can't get their full benefit. COX2s do seem much better for me and once you start controlling inflammation you may find other things improve too.

Feeling down is quite normal. Be gentle on yourself and give yourself a break, celebrate your victories and don't feel bad if things don't work out - just learn how to be kinder on yourself and have a better strategy for next time. My trick is music, I have, over the years, created quite a collection of vinyl and some very good speakers - when the going gets tough the music goes on. If it gets tougher, the tunes get louder...it just gives me a chance to focus somewhere other than the lands of ouch and zzzzzzz!

Good luck and a big fat hug, LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Hi Jenny

Welcome to the forum , Sorry i have RA so cannot help you , everyone on here is great so you will get alot of help although i'm sure you have already by reading the posts .
    Sorry you are in a bad way , i do know how you feel the pain is excruciating .

take care
    karen.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Jenny
    Welcome to the forum.....think you have got all the advie there is :wink:
    eg stomach protectors {most important} excercise but dont overdo it.
    Just ask and someone will be about to answer questions
    Love
    Hileena
  • Jenny1
    Jenny1 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I want to say a HUGE thank you for all your kind wishes and your advice.I've been having a really tough time at work and have not had much space to process things.It really struck me about nothing changing,I just know what's wrong now.There is a huge amount of emotion attached to that.I have been suffering from one 'injury' or another over the last year and the pieces of that jigsaw have finally come together and I can see what the picture is.
    It finally makes sense why I am so tired and have been feeling the way I do.
    Was given a prescription for mobic and amytriptiline.The latter is to help the muscle spasms I am getting in my shoulders and neck recently.They are quite painful and it did help them.I tried it at the weekend but by day three I felt out of it and I had a dizzy spell with blurred vision while out for a walk.I decided I couldn't take them then because I couldn't go to work like that.Don't find the mobic much good either,just feel sick when I take it.Does anyone find massage good,is it safe?.Or acupucture.back to my excellent physio on Monday and now that we know what is going on she is going to put a programme together for me.I'm still a little overawed but I am going to experiment with things and keep trying to find what helps.Thanks again all and have a great weekend,J xxxx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Just about to log off but saw this and wanted to welcome you to the forum..

I hope that things aren't too bad tonight..

Be well and hope to see you posting more :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi Jenny, I just wanted to say welcome to the forum.
    Wishing you well,
    Numpty
  • Saphire
    Saphire Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi Jenny,
    I am quite new to this forum but have found people to be so kind, also there always seems to be someone who understands how we feel.
    take care and hope you are feeling a little better today.
    Saph x
  • Heather65
    Heather65 Member Posts: 262
    Options
    Hi Jenny,
    welcome to the forum sounds like your going through the mill at the moment ,this forum is realy good for advice and support keep posting and look forward to seeing you on here again ,
    Heather65 :)