Difference of medical opinon???

Options
Diandra83
Diandra83 Member Posts: 16
edited 27. Jun 2012, 05:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey, I'm here to pick everyones brain again!! Was at the clinic yday and it turns out I was being seen by a consultant I have never seen before. She basically decided that as I am not presenting as a specific type of arthritis and that there were "some signs of inflammation" that she was going to withdraw the steroid injections that I had been getting and see what happens.

Now I only started attending the place in March and since then I have had 2 left knee effussions and 3 shoulder ones too including having steroids put in at that point plus i have had injections into my right shoulder seperatley also to try and help whilst the meds kick in. I only started on methotrexate last week as the sulfazalazine isnt working.

My life is already significantly affected by this - I need a walking stick and can't dress myself etc. Now is it just me or does this seem like a very stupid action plan?? Has anyone else ever done this?? Or maybe not agreed with the docs??????

I don't want to disagree with her as obviously she is very experienced and hopefully knows what she is doing but if the meds take 3months to kick in as she said I will be even more of a cripple by that time.

Advice Please!!!!!!! :roll:

Comments

• Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Diane (hopefully knows what she is doing ) yes it can be be a worry at the start of my illness i was missdiagnosed several times and went untreated for a long period of time. Offten all we can do is hope. I think is she is seeing in in 6 to 12 weeks thats fine but if she is going to leave you for a long time then you need to be talking to her or have a good chat with the rheumy nurse. the added stress and woory wont help . Take care
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    It sounds as if she has a plan, even though you’re not sure what it is. Being nosey, I’d have asked but it’s not always easy to think of these things in the hot-house of an appointment. However, one scenario I’d put to you is that the ‘plan’ hasn’t changed at all. Steroids are usually given to tide us over until the DMARDS kick in. Normally (I think) they are given orally but you had the jabs. This is not normally an ongoing treatment. Indeed, they can only give a certain amount in a certain time limit. Any I’ve had have been few and far between.

You could check with your GP. The rheumatologist will probably have written to your GP so (s)he might be able to enlighten you. Did you feel the steroids were helping or not? The meds can take up to 3 months to kick in but that doesn’t mean they will.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    the meds do take a while to kick in but perhaps she wants to see what going on for her self if you back in couple of weeks ok but if much longer that no good to you i think i would phone her sectary and find out what on your notes if not she might help or rhummy nurse if you have one they often helpfull good luck val
    val