shall I / shan't I

Options
succotash
succotash Member Posts: 83
edited 27. Jun 2012, 16:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Not sure wether to go along to my local support group. Its not really my thing but my hubby thinks its a good idea to go along, chat to others with arthrits, maybe get some tips.

My big problem.... without sounding ageist... will there be anyone my age? (43)

hmm dont know what to do. It starts in half an hour........
How come I'm over the hill and rapidly going down it, when I don't even recall reaching the summit?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry. Only just found this and it's probably too late for you now. My advice would be that, if you don't try you'll never know. If it's not for you, you don't have to go again.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    yes i agree with you sticky.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hope you have decided to go,some feed back would be nice.Mig
  • succotash
    Options
    Well I went out and up the road, its only at the end of our street.

Got to the end of the road and saw some elderly people going in. I turned around the block coming back home. I couldnt do it! :?

Maybe next month.....
    How come I'm over the hill and rapidly going down it, when I don't even recall reaching the summit?
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I'm older than you but I love my local group and we have a lot of members about your age.
    Once you take the first step its very helpful to get talking to people who are in the same boat as you.
    I suppose different groups work in different ways but ours usually has a speaker or some entertainment. Once a month we have a day/evening out. eg Holy Island, Cruises [fairly local :lol: with meals etc] I would go, give it a few times......its only once a month and see how it goes. Did you tring anyone from the group? They'll watch out for you so you wont be on your own.
    Love
    Hileena
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    I understand how you feel, i am 32 and would probably feel the same,

Have you thought about maybe taking a friend or family member with you, go once and see how you feel..Thats what i would do..
    It's one of them things that you wont know unless you try.. :)
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • PowerOn
    PowerOn Member Posts: 200
    Options
    I went to one in my local area there was a woman there in her 20s but she could not go often as she was working.
    Most of the other people were in their 60s or older, I am 49.
    Maybe ring and ask if there is a younger age group meeting?
    My main beef at that time was I was one of the younger ones hee hee at 49!
    but as I was in a lot of pain the oldies could do a lot more then me, really really ticked me off, sorry but huh annoying!
    Sour grapes have since been swallowed and am happy for them and for me as I have learned ways to handle arthur ;-)
    Best joke I ever read, "With that information and a diagnosis of spondylosis, your doctor can develop a treatment plan‏" or back in reality totally ignore you. Is ok I have a sense of humour and a boxing glove, not defeated yet.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    One of the things I like is that when we go on outings we aren't expected to keep up with a "normal" person {whatevery that is} :lol:
    Nobody minds if you get up and move around because you are stiff....thats understandable.
    I use a rollator for long walks and I would quite happily take that with me if we were going somewhere i knew we would be walking a lot. Mightn't be so quick to take it if it was a trip with able bodied people :?
    Just a few plus points.
    Love
    Hileena
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    give it a go next month.
    You might find you really enjoy it.
    I'm gonna give the local one a try next month I think...

Let us know if you do go next time :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Harlansmummy
    Harlansmummy Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Go for it, I wish there was a group near me.

I do understand the hesitation, I am 26 and go to an aquafit class aimed at people with arthritis. I am the youngest by about 40 years :lol: but they are all lovely and I try to make a joke of it.

Give it a go :)
    Twenty-something mother, home educating my wonderful son and currently TTC.

My particular flavour of arthritis is yet to be confirmed
  • Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    Options
    Oh god I would sooooo be the same (I'm 45). In fact I'm not sure I could go in even if there were people my age, I'm becoming a terrible recluse.

Go along with a mate and if it's not much good, don't go again.

Fols x
  • Susiesoo
    Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
    Options
    I can't find a support group near me, but I know I'd give it a try if there was. I'm about to put a note on the CC forum.

Good luck for next month.
  • succotash
    Options
    Thank you for your lovely replies.

I wish I had posted last night, maybe I would have gone today. Taking a friend with me is a good idea. I am wondering if my mum would go, she has OA too but at almost 70 she has slowed down anyway and kind of just gets on with it.

I will post again if I do decide to take the steps next month.

tinker
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I think I must be kind of used to hanging with the wrinklies (lol) now..
    Had OA since being a teenager and was always the youngest on the orthopaedic/arthritis wards etc..
    I was certainly the only one with a mohican haha.... I'd generally get on great with the older folks, apart from the stuck up ones that were too focused on appearance and not what's in the soul.... :roll:
    I have a photo somewhere that Janet took in Spain. There's me sat with five older folks, all sat with our feet in the pool having a great time... I'm the only one there with the full backpiece tattoo though lol..
    Shall have to dig that one out, it sums up a lot of my life haha..

I'm 44 now and guess if I do go to the meeting at chapel allerton next month I'll be one of the younger ones..
    Don't mind one bit as long as they get on with me I'll get on with anyone..
    :D

So.... Give it a go next month.. You might really enjoy it.
    Best wishes
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP