Trying for a baby with RA

Options
daniellemaria
daniellemaria Member Posts: 2
edited 27. Jun 2012, 15:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have had JIA since I was 11 and am now 27. I have recently come off my medication (humira and methotrexate) to try for a baby.

I am struggling with being off the medications even with the steroids I am having. Obviously trying for a baby takes months/years usually and there is no guarantee my symptoms will get better during pregnancy so I am so anxious about how long I will be like this for.

I just wondered if there were any Mums on here who can share any advice / happy stories for me!

Thanks xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Daniellemaria. It's lovely to meet you.

I don't really come into the category of Mums you're hoping to meet as my experiences were around 40 years ago but I do remember the second pregnancy vividly and I was very glad when he arrived bang on time and I could get back on some proper meds again.

We have a lady who sometimes pops on here called stlucia. She has written a blog called 'Operation Up The Duff' and I'm pretty sure she's currently pregnant. Also melrymax is pregnant right now. One or two others have had 'forum babies'.

I was lucky on two counts. Firstly, I'd only to look at Mr SW to get pregnant :lol: and secondly, My RA just went during my first pregnancy. (But returned with a vengeance after he was born.) I do hope one of our mums will be on soon to help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Melrymax
    Melrymax Member Posts: 226
    Options
    Hi. I am currently 21 weeks pregnant with my third, but have OA. When I first stopped my meds I was ok until about 8 weeks I had a bit of a flare up which then settled. But am going through another flare up now which I think my trigger was doing some overtime on very busy shifts ( I work on the local maternity wards). I have been put on shared care between midwife and consultant due to my pain and medication but all is fine with the baby. :)
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Danielle :)

http://www.operationuptheduff.blogspot.com

Stlucia, a member of this forum started a blog last October re JIA and TTC/pregnancy.

You may like to have a read .........

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stlucia
    stlucia Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Ooh I could feel my ears burning!

Hi all, how are you? I'm sorry not to have been on here for a while, not sure where I've been... Oh no i remember, lots of morning sickness! Yuck! Why it's called that I have no idea as it is all day all night sickness!

Elna, thanks for your lovely message on my blog. Of course I remember you! X

Danielle, lovely to meet you. First of all I want to say please do not give up hope, I have found being pregnant and the bit before being pregnant hard going with my joints but I've got to 13 weeks now and I am hoping that remission might happen! Planning seems to be the key to getting through... Cook in batches or even better get someone else to cook in batches and freeze food so you can have a fairly instant dinner when you get in from work. Online food shopping is good too. If you can reduce the hours you work that can really help. My boss has been very supportive and I've managed to keep doing a very demanding job for 4 days a week. Getting supportive pillows like a v shaped pillow and a memory foam mattress topper have been good purchases. Getting your doctor and your consultant on board is very important. I have a really good gp but to be honest I've not been to see her since telling her I was pregnant. There are medications you can take whilst pregnant. I've made the decision not to take them and survive on paracetamol but it is a real battle most days. One of the best things that the hospital did was give me an appointment with an obstetrician and my rheumatologist at the same time so we could all decide the best way forward. The obstetrician recommended a natural birth rather than a c section, less to recover from.
    Really hope that helps. Please leave me a message on my blog if you want to ask anything at all and I'd be happy to help.

Xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Stlucia

Wow, my message got on your blog already!

:D Congratulations. :D So pleased for you that you are going to have a baby. Is that mid January next year then, did I read?

Lovely to see your name on the forum again. :D Please do call in as and when you are able. You look after yourself and bump and during the not so good times, think of the precious gift you shall receive early next year. :D

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stlucia
    stlucia Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Elna, yup nearly right, beg of Jan. I did read somewhere that RAIN babies like to put in an early appearance though so Christmas could be dramatic!

X