Elbow problems any expereince?

Options
suzygirl
suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
edited 28. Jun 2012, 14:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, I have been having problems with my elbow fo ra few weeks now and it is just getting worse. It is so hot you could fry an egg on it!!!! :lol: It is also swollen, but so is the other one. I am flaring since finishing the steroids, but the elbow pain is something else.

I have tried ice, biofreeze, pain killers don't touch it. Movement, lifting really hurts and at night it locks.

The rheumy nurse has done bloods and will see me in 3 weeks and may either give me an steroid jab in it or refer me to physio.

Trouble is in the meantime, its agony, am unable to use my crutches. Anyone had this or similar? Any tips? I was wondering if it was bursitis (had this in shoulder and hip before) or the tendons, but didnt think the joint would lock if that was the case?

Thanks for tips

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Suzy

So sorry about your elbow. Could it actually be infected bursitis? I had this in one of my elbows a while back and it needed antibiotics to clear. The doc said there was no point draining the fluid cos it would just come back but the antibs did clear it pretty rapidly. I don't think my pain was as bad as yours but it was pretty nasty - hot, red and swollen. Mine didn't lock as a result of the bursitis but I wonder if the locking you are experiencing is because it is swollen and when it is still at night it locks through lack of movement? Might be worth a visit to the GP Suzy if there is any chance it is an infection because antibiotics might just solve the problem for you.

Really hope you can get some relief from it soon.

Thinking of you.

Love Tillyxxx
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Thanks Tilly, I hadn't thought of that actually. Just assumed the heat was the inflammation.

I hope you are ok, lovely to hear from you :D
  • suzygirl
    Options
    It is odd as when I had bursitis I hadn't noticed the pain, just the lack of movement.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I can't help, suzygirl but you do have my sympathy. I haven't had elbow pain for ages but it was not a pleasant experience. It makes you feel sick, as I recall. I hope someone can help you with it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I've never had it to that degree, but I've had it and it ain't fun.
    I hope it eases soon mi dear...
    Best wishes
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Suzy,

I've had a lot of trouble with my elbows in the past. Before I knew I had RA my right elbow seized up in a bent position and has never moved since :shock: The negative side is that I can't use that hand to feed myself or go anywhere my face because it misses! The plus side is it doesn't hurt.

My left elbow is permanently bent at about 75deg so this in turn brings it's problems but it does move and I can feed myself and clean my teeth and even scratch my own nose :D I've had steroid injections into both joints but there's been no improvement. It worries me immensely when I get pain in my right elbow in case that stops working too.

In view of this, if I were you, I'd ring my Rheumy nurse again to see if anything can be done sooner than the three weeks. I'm not being alarmist but just cautious because you don't realise how important elbow movement is till you've lost it. :|

Please keep us posted Suzy.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • lynnmick
    lynnmick Member Posts: 72
    Options
    hi suzy,

I too have a bent left elbow due to RA, i did have a steroid injection in it about a year ago, it seemed to work for a while with the pain, but didn't help it to straighten at all. I was also referred to physio and they tried to straighten it and i could have kicked his **** :) I must admit that i dont get too much pain with it but occassionly i have cramping pains down it which really hurt, or if i happen to slightly knock it against something i could hit the roof.

I would try the steroid jab has they dont hurt and its worth giving it a go sometimes it has quite a lasting effect on some people.

Good luck
    Lynn x
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Thanks for your expereinces, whilst I wouldn't wish it on anyone it is nice to know that I am not alone.

I will opt for the steroid jab I think, especially since my other elbow has joined in and my wrist, which is extremely tiresome.

It is funny how much you take a joint for granted until it becomes inflamed!!! I wince and ouch at every movement. :oops:

Legs and Lynn sorry to hear of your expereinces, I had forgotten that RA attacked the elbows.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Oh Suzy

I am only here offering you some sympathy and my support. I can well imagine the pain and how much we (oddly) rely on our elbows :(

Please do come back and let us know how you are getting on :? I really really hope the steroid jab helps you

Love

Toni xxx
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Thanks Toni, its nice to hear from you. How are you doing?