wearing a brace wrist splint??

Options
cindyjonas
cindyjonas Member Posts: 31
edited 28. Jun 2012, 03:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys,

Maybe a stupid question but when it all started (right wrist) the doctor did give me a splint with metal plate to support my wrist, the pain goes away instently but not the fingers pain, and as soon as i take it off the wrist pain is coming back.

I would like to know if it is healthy to wear it if osteoarthritis (i still don't know what is wrong with me) and where can i buy it or should i ask my GP to give me another one for my left hand (i have one for the right wrist).

I am trying to find something that could ease slightly the pain during the day but mostly help me with more grip, as i don't have any strength at all.

any ideas or suggestions

Comments

• Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Heya. I got both of my wrist braces from my physiotherapist that was via the docs but I think you can just buy them online. I have OA and tendonitis from using my crutches constantly and these really help to support and ease the pain.

I tend to take them off when I'm just resting at home and slip them on when I'm doing things. They can get a bit smelly tho lol.

Fols x
  • cindyjonas
    Options
    hi Fols,

That is what i used to do with the one i have but because the pain is always coming back i am not wearing it very often which i think i should.

Both of my wrist are so painfull when i iron (i have my own business ironing and cleaning) but at least when i wear it i can carry things around
  • Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    Options
    Then definately wear them. Ironing is really tough on the wrists so the support will really help. I have a feeling before I got mine I looked on the Internet and Amazon did them.

Fols x
  • Harlansmummy
    Harlansmummy Member Posts: 89
    Options
    You may well find that if you wear it everyday for a few weeks, that you will allow the inflammation to go down. Then when you will be able to leave it off for longer times
    Twenty-something mother, home educating my wonderful son and currently TTC.

My particular flavour of arthritis is yet to be confirmed
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    do you have access to am occupational therapist? Mine are great, I wear two wrist splints, the ones with the metal insert like you.. I also have a pair with plastic inserts that were moulded to my elbow crutches..
    I just rung when I need more or call down and I get fresh ones..

You could also ask about physio, they can get you doing some exercises maybe.

Best wishes :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Tony beat me to it. Ask your GP to refer to the OT department, they are on with mine, moulded to fit my hand grips on my crutches, Keep us posted and take care, xx Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    hi, I've to wrist splints which I was told to wear at night or after any strenuous activity (like gardening, cleaning etc.) NOT while I was doing the activity. I find this generally works well for me. It must be hard to iron in the metal wrist splints.
  • cindyjonas
    Options
    Hi all

Yes it is really difficult to iron with my right splint so i used to wear it in morning and after for evening, i rarely wear it on night time cos i sleep with my hand under my head, stupid but bad habit, lol

I bought another another one yesterday for my left wrist and will do the same. I think once i get diagnosed the GP or ruma will refer me to OT.

lol, just typing on computer make my fingers hurting so much, pffff
  • succotash
    succotash Member Posts: 83
    Options
    I use a wrist/thumb splint given to me from the OT. But to be honest I had bought some online and they are of better quality.

They are good for doing certain jobs but some jobs it just gets in the way ie washing the dishes!

I wear mine on and off all day and sometimes at night if my joints are very stiff.

I am not sure if you can get finger splints, I would be interested to know as my fingers can be very painful sometimes.

They do get sweaty so I have to alternate between the bought ones and the OT ones, they do wash by hand and dry fairly quickly.

Ps... its OA that I have too
    How come I'm over the hill and rapidly going down it, when I don't even recall reaching the summit?