Where is a good place to get a scooter?

Options
suzygirl
suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
edited 29. Jun 2012, 13:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all :D

I am unable to drive at present and am in the process of applying for a bus pass. However it won't solve all my problems,as the doctors is not on a bus route for example.

So I want to get a scooter, but am after a bargain :wink: Any good ideas on where to lookfor a secondhand one.

I looked at the new ones and they are expensive, I was shocked. :shock: Yet the used ones are priced reasonably but sell quickly.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Tricky one, this. A bargain is lovely but a scooter that's suitable for your needs is much better, suzygirl. I can't get onto most of them because my ancient TKR won't bend far enough. Those I can get on, often have controls that my fingers can't work - or can't work for more than a few minutes.

Do you have anywhere near you where you can actually try some out? We have a bit of a local hospital that has lots of stuff from scooters to bathrooms, kitchens and gadgets. They don't sell them just enable you to see if they're useful to you. Your local D.I.A.L. (google it) would be able to advise.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I googled 2nd hand scooters and found a shop that sold them......Its not the biggest {not a road one with lights etc} but its ideal for the footpath and to get me round our village etc..
    Never regretted it.
    I also googled rollators {I know thats not what you want} and found a man about 18 miles a way who had his garage full of scooters of all kinds, 3 wheel/4wheel rollators, wheelchairs, zimmer frame....you name it he had it. He had been discharged from the army after having a stroke and couldnt work and he did this as recuperation therapy. I paid £7.50 a week for a rollator and could have kept it as long as i needed to. I know this is no help but just thought I would tell you that its wonderful what you can find when you google :wink:
    Good luck
    Hileena
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    I would suggest you check out eb@y as you can get real bargains ; sold mine there when no longer able to work the hand controls . Jillyb
  • jilly
    jilly Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Hi the trouble is there are so many scooters , from small ones to large ones that will take you miles . you need to have a really good look around first . i made the mistake of just going to my local mobility shop, bought a secondhand one for £550 it turned out to be totally wrong for me and was a waste of money.
    My advise would be to make sure you know what sort you need , there are so many different ones . Some go in the boot of your car while others are large and can take you for miles in comfort .
    After making a huge mistake with the first one I had a good look round and decided which one suited me best, nearly fainted at the prices , thousands of pounds for some . I was advised to have a look on ebay , there were hundreds of secondhand and new ones .
    It took me a couple of weeks and i found the one i had been looking for , they even let me go and have a look at it and have a go on it . I made a bid and it was mine , picked it up the day after the sale .It cost me a third of the cost they wanted in the mobility shops .
    That was 2 years ago and it is still going strong , I love it . I get to go places i would never of been able to go with my sticks , I hope you manage to get yourself one that is right for you . ............jillyx
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Definitely shop around. I went to the local mobility shop, tried out one model that suited me fine, fitted into the car, said I think that's the one for me, went home and OH found the same on, on line mobility company, for nearly £200 less, which is a big difference.
    There are loads on that well known auction website, but just be careful and if you can try before you buy, even better. I never regret getting mine, it is like having a new lease of life when out and about, I can pootle along and OH walks alongside.
    Some of the larger ones are mega money...........you can get them on motability, if you have the higher rate.
    XX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I do have the type in mind I want, a larger one that goes further. One that goes in and out of the car is pointless for me.

I have joined shopmobility but haven't had chance to try one out yet.
  • muffy
    muffy Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Try looking at Total Mobility, besides new ones they have second hand ones that they can bring to your home to have a go on. The Shoprider and one or two others can have the steering tiller bar converted if you have difficulty in using the standard controls. I have just purchased an ex. demo scooter from them at half the price of a new one, it is just like new, comes with a warranty and has been converted for me to be able to drive with my thumbs only due to RA in the hands.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Quck hijack

muffy - could you cast any further light on this TotalMobility place? I plumped for '.co.uk' which deals with disability aids but the neasrest they came to a scooter was a wheelchair. (I don't know why I'm doing this. The only sort I'd like is totally impractical on several grounds but I'm still window shopping.)
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    My dad's got a mobility scooter and relies heavily on it. I'd agree with the others - have a good look around and try some out. The mobility shops here where I live usually sell new and reconditioned (used) ones. It's gonna depend on your budget but do try before you buy.

Good luck - let us know know you get on.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,926
    Options
    i have a mobility scooter i bought mine from a mobility shop as i have not got a car.
    my scoota is serviced every year i have had one for 14 years without a problem i alway give it 24 hours charge when i get a new one and then i put it on charge every night i use it every day to take the dog for a walk.
    good luck.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I do have a local mobility shop so will try and talk hubby into taking me. :D He says I will be an embarrassment,on a scooter :oops: Never mind eh!!!!!! :lol:
  • stickywicket
    Options
    suzygirl wrote:
    Thanks everyone, I do have a local mobility shop so will try and talk hubby into taking me. :D He says I will be an embarrassment,on a scooter :oops: Never mind eh!!!!!! :lol:

In which case, girl, make sure you are :wink: You'll have the opportunity to 'accidentally' drive into him whenever he moans. Go for it.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    suzygirl wrote:

the cheek of it :wink: a plausible reason for "oh, sorry, was that your foot"

I was a bit embarrassed to be honest, when I first went out on mine, but, it didn't last long and now, I could care less what anyone thinks. I did hear one lady at the till, in a whispering tone to my OH, saying "ah, bless". I put her straight. 8)
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    EBAY i have bought lots from them even sold some on and made money
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Sticky and Bubbles, I like your style. Accidental damage coming up!!!! :lol::wink:

Colin, I am looking at ebay and have got hubby on the case now, he is quite good. :D