Swollen feet after Rituximab infusion - any thoughts please?

tillytop
tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
edited 29. Jun 2012, 06:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Since my Rituximab infusion on Tuesday my feet and ankles have been really quite swollen - not RA inflammation swollen, but just really "boggy" with fluid. I noticed it after the infusion but was not surprised given the amount of fluid going in and the fact that I sat for about 9 hours with my feet down. I just expected it to go away once I was moving around more and/or sitting with my feet up. But despite sitting with my feet up for much of the past two days, the fluid retention is not decreasing - even after lying in bed all night it improves somewhat then returns again during the day. It's not painful, just a bit strange and wondered if anyone else has had ankle and foot swelling after an infusion of Ritux or anything else.

Just hope all the Ritux isn't pooled in my feet rather than doing its stuff where it should be :lol:

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

Tillyxxx

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Tilly,
    So far I had 7 rituximab infusions but what you're describing never happened to me. I usually get stiff from sitting for so long, but feel great the next day after the bag of steroids :) . Maybe you should mention that to your rheumy/rheumy nurse.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    tillytop wrote:
    Just hope all the Ritux isn't pooled in my feet rather than doing its stuff where it should be :lol:

Stand on your head????

Sorry, couldn't resist. I've only ever had something similar post-op and only badly after one THR. Couldn't get wide, large, men's C*syf**t slippers on let alone my surgical shoes. I just had to rest, elevate and wiggle the bits that'd wiggle. It did go down eventually but took its time.

Surgical stockings? The old, post-op ones? I'd ask first though because the tightness might help but mightn't be good in other ways.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh dear, I am so sorry that this has happened to you. I have a couple of thoughts but their relevance? That's debatable.

The 'muggy' weather could be a factor - as you pointed out, sitting for nine hours is not ideal and moving about hasn't sorted matters so perhaps the humidity is a possible cause. The atmospheric pressure here is very heavy so I assume/guess/hope the same is true with you and that when it breaks your swelling will ease. The other thought? It's that dread phrase that I have heard from my optician: it's your age. Sometimes stuff happens that has nothing to do with an auto-immune arthritis or its meds. Sorry. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hi Tilly,Hope the swelling has/is going by now and you feel better.Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Tilly
    Sorry I dont know a thing about the meds, but this weather has been so humid, could that be the prob...I say this because my ankles have disappeared.
    I hope they go down for you and hopefully stay down....you take care xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Hi Tilly,
    I hope you have some improvement today.
    I can't offer any advice, just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you.
    Numpty
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Hi Tilly

Hope the swelling goes soon , sorry to hear this , i cannot help you :(

karen ((()))xx
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Thanks all for your wise replies (and not so wise - Sticky - in terms of "standing on my head :lol:).

I have left a msg on the rheumatology helpline just to check it out and will see what they say. I am also having heart investigations and I believe that signficant fluid retention can indicate that the heart is not working as efficiently as it might and I wonder whether this is connected somehow. Hope not. :roll: I'm not hugely worried about it though and it does seem to be improving.

Thanks again.

Tillyxxx