Return to work? Help?

Options
Melrymax
Melrymax Member Posts: 226
Right my dilemma..... My sick note ran out yesterday ( I have asked for it to be week by week rather than a chunk because of the pregnancy I will get moaned about for tht too)I am feeling much better but still in pain I feel fine for an extent Of time and then end up in pain. If I am in theatre it's ok as I have a balance of sitting and standing but can't make everyone end up in theatre. If I am on the ward I will be pacing up and down for 12 hours, and having to respond to emergency calls, possibly shift patients around, be leaning over beds etc etc.
Do I make an effort to go to work to prove a point that I am not just having the time off "because I can" ?
Or there is the grey area of my OA not being pregnancy related but exacerbated by the pregnancy as to weather they can make me take early mat leave? :|

Comments

• resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Merylmax,

sorry I can't offer any advice but wanted to reply because I also work in the NHS. I have RA and also work 12 hours shifts as an out of hours nurse practitioner so spend most of that time walking from ward to ward.

Have you seen occupational health. I self referred to them, if you self refer then everything is kept confidential wheras if your manager refers you then they write to your manager after you have approved what they put in the letter. I mention them because, they told me I was covered under the disability discrimination act, meaning that employers make reasonable adjustments to your working environment/duties to help you remain in work. This may help in getting you transferred into theatre on a more regular, if not permanent basis. I apologise if you've already been down this route, but if not, its worth a try.

Good luck
    Jan xx
  • Melrymax
    Options
    Hi jan. thank you very much for that advice. I am a hca
    On maternity so theatre is an emergency only basis and elective sections on weekdays. I never knew I coul self refer to occupational health so shall give them a call first thing on Monday- thank you very much for that tip. I did call the docs this morn and had another week put on my sick not as 10 mins in John Lewis was painful enough! Imagine answering the emergency buzzer on that? Lol id be on the floor in an instant!
  • resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Hi,

Its definately worth self referring to occupational health. That way it stays confidential if you want it to. They can refer you to podiatry, physio and can send out someone to do a work based assessment to see what changes in the work environment would help you.

Good luck, hope all goes well

Jan x
  • Melrymax
    Options
    Thank you very much jan :D x
  • primroselp
    primroselp Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I apologise if you've already been down this route, but if not, its worth a try. g.gif
  • Melrymax
    Options
    Hi, just an update... Saw occ health today and they have said until I go on mat leave then I need to do clerical work and if not then to stay off until my mat leave. If I do return to work I need a pregnancy assesment an include the manual handling nurse in it too. Got to call my manager on mon to speak to her.