keeping fit plus lose weight

Options
christinac47
christinac47 Member Posts: 102
edited 30. Jun 2012, 19:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
can someone plz help i have O&A in my lower spine and i bought a gym ball and dvd to try and work out plus i got a samba dvd (just basic nothing to hard)would this be ok for my to use as dont get much help from docters if anyone has any idears would be happy to listen to them hope everyone is well

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Exercise is good and does help joints and reduces pain so I think you're thinking on the right lines.

However, I think you'd need to be careful with a gym ball (Those big things that you sit on?) Go extremely gently at first or, better still, ask to be referred to a physio who can give good advice. Samba, as I recall, is quite 'twisty'. Again, I'd check with an expert.

I can't remember whether or not the AC exercise booklet listed in Publications and Resources has back exercises. Why not check it out?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi
    Please make sure you put the gym ball agaisnet a wall to stop you falling off, I dont know how the oa has effected your lower back so you should really get medical advice.
    I have a few protruding disc, and some narrowing, the exercise ball is very good at sending more blood to this area, hence you can get some healing.
    But like I said please get some advice and be careful on it.
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    good for you it always good when some one making an effort as others have said be carefull and physio app would be good idea give exercises tailored to you mine was good (for neck and gave me some for back when sitting for while) good luck think how much you can do and half it to start with build up slowly good luck val
    val
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Christina

Im no expert but I wouldnt say gym ball plus samba is the best for OA in lower spine....
    How about going to a local gym, they can adapt programmes for everybody no matter what the physical/mental issue may be....I see people at my gym who have MS, severe strokes....I was also going to ask if you have hydrotherapy in your area, a sort of gentler exercise you can do in a nice warm, relaxing pool...
    I hope you find solutions...

Elainex
    can someone plz help i have O&A in my lower spine and i bought a gym ball and dvd to try and work out plus i got a samba dvd (just basic nothing to hard)would this be ok for my to use as dont get much help from docters if anyone has any idears would be happy to listen to them hope everyone is well
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    Options
    ive been told quite a few times about keeping yourself mobile and doing gentle exercise so good luck with it but like others have said, be careful you dont fall off!

i dont have much experience with what is the correct exercise to do but you yourself should be able to tell if its hurting or helping.

good luck, hope it helps xx
  • christinac47
    Options
    hi all hope you and your family are all well thankyou all very much for all your support i have a dvd to show me how to use it the right way.as for the samba it is the basic one just a warm up i have a friend who is showing me how to do samba gentley this is something i need to try as my docter told me its better to get rid of the trable pain so i am cutting down and looking for good ideas on how its all help to to cut down anything so i have some tips to work on ,i am waiting for the phiso to get back to me so i need to start right now cant wait any longer as its getting worse you are all so kind .
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Probably one of the hardest tasks we face loosing weight and trying to keep fit. I'm with Elaine if your up to it try the local gym its full of people just like you and me all trying to do the same thing. Its a good social outlet to and they are trained to work with people like us. If you do it through your GP its free for 3 months I loved it but had to stop because of a lung problem. You vcan even go to the baths.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I've started doing pilates (which uses the gym ball) and as long as your careful it can help you get fitter and loose wait. I use a DVD called Beginners pilates for people with back injuries (or something like that) which can be helpful. But about a fortnight ago when reading an online magazine I came across an article about an exercise helping adaption called the 'easy shaper' it's 2 pieces of elastic and a bar. But it's been the best piece of kit I've brought in a long time! And I'm already feeling the difference in my muscles! Of course you need to read up on it but I can say It's helped me and you hardly need to do anything the easy shaper does it all for you! If you want to get fit and loose some weight look at the easy shaper, I got mine from Amazon.
  • christinac47
    Options
    vitaniya wrote:
    I have a backache and now I am on a diet which is best for me~~~I hope that's effective~~~~good luck for you and me~~~
    hi vitaniya i hope it works for you too,docters dont realise its so hard for us.but we will prof to them we can try and do our best