Headaches from arthritis at top of neck

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 30. Jun 2012, 06:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I'm new to this forum. Have had arthritis in my neck for 22 years, but the last six months have been horrendous. I simply cannot get rid of the pain in my head and it feels as if it has been kicked around a football pitch.
Doctor has tried me on various painkillers, only Tramodol worked but was so ill after taking it that I couldn't get out of bed. Osteopathy helps but isn't effective for longer than 48 hours, acupuncture is of no use whatsoever. Has anybody got any tips for me. The pain is ruling my life night and day and, of course, it affects my husband's life as well as I don't feel well enough to go out.

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi knuckleduster,
    welcome to the forum.
    Could you go to a pain clinic?
    I know what you mean about not going out, I'm in the same boat. It's just no fun when you're constantly in pain!
    I'm sure someone wiser than me will be along soon to offer some advice.
    Wishing you well,
    Numpty
  • Susiesoo
    Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
    Options
    Hi knuckleduster

I'm new to the forum too and although it's a bit daunting at first, everyone is very kind, helpful and supportive. I think it helps to know others are in the same boat.

I can't be of any real help to you, just wanted to say hi and I hope you get some help soon.

Susie
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Hello Numpty

Thanks for replying so quickly. I've got an appointment at the Pain Clinic at the end of July for two steroid injections into facet joint each side of the neck. Afraid to say they were not exactly positive about the results. It was very much a case of "they may work or they may not, could take six weeks to work if they do and may only last a month or so and the pain could get worse before it gets better." I'll just have to see what happens. Hope the sun is shining your way today.

Best wishes.
    knuckleduster :)
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Hi Susie

Many thanks for welcoming me to the forum. I'm off to the Pain Clinic at the end of July, but as my Doctor said, they would only be able to make the pain tolerable.

Anyway, at least the sun is out today and the world always looks brighter when the weather is better. Have a good weekend.

knuckleduster xx :P
  • Susiesoo
    Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
    Options
    Hello knuckleduster

Perhaps you could send some sun this way. We have the usual grey sky, wind and rain. Oh to see a proper blue sky! It's amazing the difference some sunshine makes. Oh well, we live in hope.

Enjoy your weekend too.

Susie :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello knuckleduster and welcome from me too.

Such relentless head pain must be very tough to put up with. I'm afraid I have little in the way of advice. I have RA in my neck but it hardly moves these days and is a lot less painful as a result. I use one of the shaped memory foam pillows. Without it, I can get migrainey headaches which make me feel sick (due to the RA) but,as long as I remember to throw it in the car wherever I'm going, I'm OK.

I also have a neck support which orthotics gave me before I got the pillow. It did ease things a bit at the time and I wonder if one would help you. You can't wear them all the time because your neck muscles would pack in if you did (and they get itchy) but they do ease things for a while.

I hope the steroid jabs help. It really is a case of 'some do/some don't' but at least you'll have some respite if they do.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Hi stickywicket

Thanks for your reply. I've got my fingers crossed re the steroid injections.
    Hope you have a good weekend.

Best wishes.

knuckleduster :lol:
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Hi vitaniya

The one thing we've all got in common is our hatred of pain. But what can we do, except carry on and sometimes it's difficult to do so. My darling son
    keeps telling me to keep positive, don't give in to the pain and something new will come along, but it's easy to say that when you are not the one whose life is being limited. Just make the most of your good times. :)
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi I have cervical spondylosis so I understand neck pain, but yours sound horrendous. I use a 'v' pillow, a hot water bottle, biofreeze, muscle relaxants and forehead migraine reliever to help ease the pain.

I hope the steroid jabs help you. I have had shoulder and hip injections which helped.

Talk to your gp there are so many pain killers, there is no need to suffer.
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Hi suzygirl

Thanks for your tips. Have just seen my doctor again and have been given a prescription for Celebrex 200mg. Straightforward painkillers don't have any effect, but inflammatories can take the edge off. :P
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    You need to have a chat with Rheumy or rheumy nurse, You can get Arthritis in the scull, so you need to look into it if only to discount it.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • earthspirit
    earthspirit Bots Posts: 278
    Options
    oh dear looks like lots of us know this pain very well!

ok i have 2 suggestions - there are the neck cushions that are quite small for use in the car or when flying etc. you are mean to put them round the back of your neck but i worked out that if you put the "U" bit at the side of your neck and use as support between neck and shoulder it allows your neck to rest sideways which i find slightly better than the conventional way. i have to switch sides with the thing

the other thing that might help is something small and metal and flat placed on the back of the neck or along the shoulder right at the top. i have multiple things that i use - a small metal mobile phone measuring 2.5 x 4.5 and this is just perfect size for me. the other thing is an electricians peg thing - that is like a giant metal clothes peg which retains the cold, cooling effect and helps to reduce inflamation. look around your house and im sure there will be something metal you can use.

ive tried all the gels pills etc etc over a very long period and the above is more effective and more gentle than ice or heat (heat just inflames more although it comforting for a while)

another thing i have used is my computer mouse which is lovely and rounded with a rubbery sort of feel and although this isnt cold, it allows a bit of self massage.

hope this gives you some ideas for improvisation and you get a bit of relief.

neck pain is horrendous!
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Hi Colin1

Have not heard of arthritis in the skull. Have had xrays of the neck and that is how the arthritis was diagnosed. My Doctor has always told me that I have the "wrong type of arthritis" to be referred to the hospital clinic, but at least I did get a referral to the Pain Clinic.
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Hello earthspirit

Thanks for your tips and I must admit I had thought of putting something cold at the base of my skull.

All of my friends are super fit and healthy, so using this forum has helped me today by just knowing there are many, many people out there just like me.
  • Heather65
    Heather65 Member Posts: 262
    Options
    Hi knuckleduster,
    welcome to the forum im sorry to hear about your pain, like you i have neck trouble and am having treatment but not with much results ,its a you have to live with it and get on with it ,which is hard when it effects your life so much ,i take lots of tablets which sort of help i get pins and needles in my hands which drives me nuts and they are giving me b12 injections so i do sympathise with you ,
    best of luck ,
    Heather x
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Hi Heather

Thanks for your support. Pain is bad today and feeling very low. But as you say, you just have to get on with it. Have a good weekend. :)