tramadol and patch overdose.

Options
mumoftwoboys
mumoftwoboys Member Posts: 24
edited 29. Jun 2012, 16:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
what can a take with pain patches, paracelomol arent working...

i was really bad last week and got new pain patches off gp. she told me i could still take tramadol on the first day until the patch kicked in.
But the second day i forgot i had the patch on and i took 2 tramadol for my pounding head. i was tired and started falling asleep and then realised my breathing was very slow and remembered i had the patch on.
I wipped the patch off and kept walking round the room and in and out of house trying to keep awake and get fresh air.
I was scared to go to sleep that night in case i didnt wake up.
I HAD A GREAT NIGHTS SLEEP THO..lol.

im feeling really really really tired for past few days and wasnt sure if it was part of it or if it was the patches..

my meds .paracetomol, diclofenac, omeprazole, sulfasalazine, and durogestic dtrans patches.

Comments

• resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear, that all sounds very scary. You definately did the right thing, taking the patch off and staying awake as much as possible.

I would suggest ringing NHS direct for advice on what other pain killers you can take.

Hope you get some relief soon

Jan xx
  • mumoftwoboys
    mumoftwoboys Member Posts: 24
    Options
    oh jan it was scary. i rang nhs help line yeaterday and they havent got back to me. ive just been taking paracetomol til i find out.
    im so tired but when i go to bed im not sleeping properly. im in pain andmy legs feel really heavy and cant get comfy. is this normal.
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Options
    O dear... sounds like you did the right thing to remove the patch... Could you not get to talk to your GP today....??? That's disgusting that NHS didn't get back to you...

Hope your feeling abit better today xx
    hugs freesia xxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    What a fright you must have got. I've no idea about these patches I'm afraid.
    I'm surprised NHS direct didnt get back to you....anytime I've rung, someone has taken my details then told me to stay beside the phone {keep it clear} and they would pass these details on to a doctor and she would ring me.......they always have rung back
    Try and see your GP or else try ringing NHS direct again or even your pharmacist would know.....they will be open on a Sat
    Good Luck
    Love
    Hileena
  • resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Hi again,

DUrogesic patches are fentanyl which are opiod based analgesics, unfortunately tramadol is also an opiod based analgesic. These should not be taken together and recommendations is for current analgesia to be weaned off when starting with the patches, which is why your gp would have said its ok to keep taking them the first day (until the patch have got into your system and reached a therapeutic level). However - you MUST NOT take any other opiod based meds now the patches are on and established. That includes dihydrocodeine, codeine phosphate,

Opiod overdose causes respiratory depression, hence your slow breathing and tiredness.

They normally recommend paracetamol for breakthrough pain.

Please call NHS direct on 0845 4647 for advice.

Jan xx
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Gosh I bet that was scary ..... do find someone to talk to soon ... be it GP, pharmacist or NHS direct.

Reading your account puts my little slip-up the other day into perspective.

my GP recently changed my pain meds from co-codamol 3 times a day and tramadol at night. Now I'm taking paracetamol regularly 4 times daily, and then using codeine OR Tramadol between times.

I thought I'd worked out a system ...... and I have to say that after the first few days I did notice I was taking less codeine and tramadol than previousy, so I was quite pleased.

Now beware when a 'new' routine becomes 'normal' because that's when the errors can creap in! :oops: I keep the 3 boxes together, and have several different alarms on my phone to remind me ....... I had been carefully and thoroughly drilled in the required gaps between doses, and maximum daily totals of each drug. Perhaps too well drilled!!

Saturday I was tired, been out shopping when I took paracetamol. Alarm went at home .... (for codeine if needed) ....... and I took more paracetamol :shock: :shock: :shock:

panic ensued
    , as I pondered the seriousness of my situation, until I spoke to a very understanding and helpful out of hours GP (they took my details, did a short triage, then a GP rang me back within the hour) - who reassured me that in my particular case I had been lucky, and he was able to help me plan the next 24 hours pain relief safely without any more paracetamol.

I'm really suprised that you didn't get a call back from NHS direct - I have used them before but tend to find that in my case the out of hours service has more knowledge about my conditions, and they also always send a report to my GP if I ring them.

I do hope you get a response in the short term to help you with the pain. I can't offer any advice about the specific drugs I'm afraid.

Wonky xx