NEW "fit as a fiddle" A/C help group

Options
freesia
freesia Member Posts: 409
edited 2. Jul 2012, 05:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had an e-mail yesterday from Arthritis Care (whom don't get me wrong do the most wonderful job...)

With details of the new "FIT AS A FIDDLE" befriending telephone group...

Well I thought this was a wonderful idea...
BUT - ALAS - it is for the over 65's only..... I can appreciate there are many people (probably the majority) over 65 suffering with arthur who cannot attend local a/c meetings and would benefit from a service like this....

BUT ALSO - what about the people in their 40's & 50's & early 60's or even younger than 40 - who work and are desperately trying to hold down a full or part time job and cannot get to a/c meetings to talk about things...because they are at work...

I know we have this forum which is wonderful place and a great help... But feel a little disappointed to be left out of this new service... :(

What are your thoughts....
hugs freesia xxx

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Agree , Freesia , now I'm 56 I almost fit that group , only 9 years to go , but I was diagnosed age 25 like many others and feel that over 65 " cuts out " a large group of people who need help of this kind and could also be a support to others . Jillyb
  • Saphire
    Saphire Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi Freesia,
    As you say, not sure what difference age should make. I am 53 so also wouldn't be able to be included in the phone group. A friend of mine who has RA is able to do far more than I can, despite being in her late sixties.
    Saph x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    "Fit as a Fiddle is a six week programme that enables you to chat on the phone with a small group of other people about making healthier lifestyle choices such as; activities and exercise, healthy eating and wellbeing.

Fit as a Fiddle was developed by Age UK and is delivered in partnership with community Network and funded by The Big Lottery Fund. Arthritis Care have the opportunity to take part in this project for a limited time only. If you are interested to learn more or want to sign up please read the information below."

http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/@3235/Selfmanagement/fit-as-a-fiddle-tele-groups

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • pinkbritishstars
    pinkbritishstars Member Posts: 731
    Options
    What has made me cross about this is, that they sent me two envelopes in the post about the fit as a fiddle group - which a) was pointless given that I'm only 35 and b) complete waste of their funds!!!

Am sure the group will be good for those that are eligible to use it, but I agree what about those of us 35-64??

Take Care all and enjoy the sunshine.
    xxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i to got it and felt it was a waste of some ones time and effort as i am only 51 often feel 65 but not so a total waste of time sending it to me val
    val
  • elnafinn
    Options
    People of 50+ years are eligible to join in with the Fit as a Fiddle Nationwide programme so if you are interested why not find out where your local Age UK is and what is going on there?

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Yes I agree with Elna.Join your local Age UK and find out whats going on.
    Apart from anything else its a befriending group. I suppose they think the majority of younger people arent as isolated as some over 65's
    I didnt realise you had to be 65 to make ue of it....I thought it was younger than that.....but I havent actually read the leaflets etc....I was just asked to help out verbally.
    Love
    Hileena
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    The restriction to over 65s is not AC but Age Concern.
    If sufficient people show interest whatever their age AC
    will set up these courses for people with arthritis in any of
    its many forms.
    Seven people with arthritis who meet the 65 criterion have
    already signed up and their course starts on 10th July.
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Attending a group for over 65s if you're much younger sounds rather uncomfortable to me , but maybe I'm over sensitive . Jillyb
  • elnafinn
    Options
    This thread started by Freesia was about the AC befriending telephone group, to be held once a week for 6 weeks, the whole idea being you do not leave your home. As I understand this, it is for those aged 65 years or over.

You are eligible to join Age UK at the age of 50 years upwards and take part in the "fit as a fiddle" scheme and all it offers.

Elna x

• Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Regardless of age it can only be a good thing and will hopefuly bring much needed help to people. I put my name down for it.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I'd like to sign up for this but have to wait another year. :cry: Thanks you for all the info.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein