Shoulder Blade ??

Options
SheilaD
SheilaD Member Posts: 201
edited 2. Jul 2012, 14:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

Not been on for some time now as I have had my RA under good control :) for which I am very fortunate. Over the past 5 weeks I have had a pain in my right shoulder blade which came and went but is getting progressively more painful and lasting longer.
Has anybody else experienced this ? I also have a very creaky neck which grinds and crunches when I move my head left to right up or down.

I am currently waiting for a follow up appointment with my Rheumy.

I am currently taking methotrexate 10mgs, I have not been taking any anti inflams or pain killers from Dec last year to this weekend but have resorted back to the co co's.

Love n hugs
SheilaD xx

Comments

• earthspirit
    earthspirit Bots Posts: 278
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi sheila i have major RA problems in many joints and shoulders/shoulder blades/ neck all show very little sign of wear or tear and yet i am in crucifying agony most of every day and night.

what is happening to me is that the nerves are being trapped by the swollen joints and on days i use my arms more, the worse the pain is.
    i cant even sit back in a chair cos the shoulder blades tough the chair and that aggravates pain.

the only real help i have had is from the physio who has got me in to adopt a corrective posture - shoulders and arms relaxed back and down and then to lower my rib cage which takes the shoulder blades into a more comfortable postition.

i dont know if this has any relation to the issues you are having but a sore neck can cause pain right to your finger tips and right to your belly button and the small of your back so possible exact same thing.

im not on RA medication not because i dont need it but for other complicated health reasons that are individual to me (badly busted broken rib many years ago healed on my lung and any cold bug or sickness causes more pain than the whole of the RA together & i cant handle it)

hope this helps a bit?? or maybe others more in the know will give you some other advice support or help.
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi, I am not sure why you have shoulder pain. I get it due to my cervical spondylosis. I get my hubby tovmassage tovrelease the muscles. I also use heat, hot water bottles, bio freeze and muscle relaxers.

It is painful and I empathise, for me it takes a combination of things to get it under control.

I hope everyones tips help you.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello SheilaD, it's nice to hear from you again albeit for a rather nasty reason. I know that quite a few on here have trouble with their shoulder/s and my best guess is it's related to your RA and/or the neck trouble. I think this is one for the rheumatologist but in the mean time is it worth considering re-starting the anti-inflammatories? It could be that the amount of meth is not quite 'cutting the mustard' and an increase could be required but again that's for the rheumatologist. I hope you get to see him soon. Take care and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • SheilaD
    SheilaD Member Posts: 201
    Options
    Hi DD, Earthspirit and Dreamdaisy.

Thank you all for your advice. DD I have some Naproxen from December and they are still in date so might start with those again, am going to ring Rheumatology Dept again and see if I can get through and book an appt. Suzygirl I am currently trying to relieve pain with wheat bags and have engaged my OH to massaging the area where it hurts :) Earth spirit I have tried every posture i can think of apart from standing on my head :lol: Hmmmmm might be worth giving it a go. Just hope nobady is watching when I try :lol:

Love n Hugs to everyone

SheilaD xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I hope they help, I must admit I am now taking one diclofenac per day to help my joints and they are making a difference. If the nap was beneficial before then it's worth a try - but please check with your GP that it's OK to re-start. Good luck! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I've had neck and shoulder problems for most of the time I've had RA but I wouldn't have said that my shoulder pain was in the shoulder blade. I've always experienced it right in the joint. I've occasionally pulled muscles round the blade though.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Heather65
    Heather65 Member Posts: 262
    Options
    Hi Shelia,
    I have trouble with my neck and sometimes get pain in my shoulder ,i find its worse if ive slept awkward or just sat funny ,my neck gives me pain constantly and i take meds regularly to help im also doing physio at the mo and exercises at home though i havnt seen any improvement yet ,
    I hope you can get some help for your pain ,
    Heather65 :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hi SheilaD

I too have bad shoulder-blade issues regularly. I am unsure whether it's my neck or not but when it kicks off I also use heat and get husband to massage the area as does Suzygirl.

I also take my ant-inflams for the duration too.

I do hope yours eases very soon.

LOve

Toni xxx
  • cheekygirl
    cheekygirl Member Posts: 128
    Options
    hi all havnt been on for a little while too much family stuff going on . hope you all ok .just looking at all the people who are suffering with shoulder and neck pain .i too am constantly in agony wth same thing .not much helps i layed down and close my eyes let my body try and relax sometimes it helps but not always .wat are we like .but we all in same boat arnt we .wish bloody weather would be bit warmer we all mite feel bit better . well guys you all look after yourself and chin up kind regards to all xxxxxx