Blood Tests and Anti-TNF

Options
lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 1. Jul 2012, 13:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi fellow drug injectors,

When I last went to see Rheumy in May I was ill with a urine infection, in fact I felt so poorly my brain wasn't functioning properly at all (well, that's my excuse :lol: ). I was given my blood test papers and an appointment to see Rheumy in November but I can't remember whether I was told to get my bloods done in three months or wait till November. :roll: The form has no date on it. :|

Those of you on anti-TNF do you have your bloods done every three months without fail? (I just wondered if it changed to every six months after a period of time.)

Hope you can help.

Luv,
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 279
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    im on infliximab every 6 weeks and have to have full bloods done before the infusion so they are ready for the nurse.
    they wont do infusions without blood results.

if you are on self injection then i would advise to ring your rhumy helpline on monday morning just to check how often you should have bloods done.
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hi Legs sure mine was every 6 weeks but some hospitals differ i would give the Rheumy nurse a bell on Monday.
    Take care
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    hi Linda, i'm on Enbrel and have bloods done every three months.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's a luxurious two month gap for me, I do them whether I need or not. :wink: These are serious meds and require proper monitoring so Legs, please, have them done on a regular basis. Surely it's better to be safe than sorry. Do you have a way to record the results? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I've had them done every three months so far and it bugs me I don't remember as I like to think I'm quite efficient :oops: :lol:

I don't like to bother the Rheumy nurses as I think they have a far better job to do to answer my silly question, there are many poorly people needing their services. That was why I knew my cyber friends would help me out. Thank you all.

Dreamdaisy, if I have my blood done at GPs they will send me a copy of the results but I prefer to have them done at the hospital because they're used to getting blood out of a stone :D I don't keep a record per se but always ask at my Rheumy appointment my last result so we can discuss. It's always the CRP rate which interests me most as that always reflects how I felt at the time of blood letting. I can remember the results since I've been on the anti-TNF.

After all your answers I've decided to pop into the hospital and have them done then Mr Legs can treat me to a coffee for being brave :wink:

Thanks again everyone. :D

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello Linda with the legs,

When I was on humira (and I may be back there soon) I had my bloods done every four weeks by the practice nurse at my gp surgery.
    The results are recorded in my patients record book.
    Like you i look for the esr number which reflects my condition in simple
    terms for me.
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Hi Ichabod,

I don't have a Patient's Record Book for the Enbrel and have never been offered one.

Hope you get back on Humira soon. :D

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello again legs, I asked about the recording of results as I was wondering if you have a meth booklet. I went without one for a long time then read about them on here, asked about it and lo! My results are put in when I go to the hospital to collect my meth. Like you I go to the path lab as the phlebos there are very practised at what they do - but a copy of the result is sent to the GP too. I always check the ESR and CRP, the liver function too as since the enbrel set-back that one is important! Anyhoo, I am glad to hear you will be getting them done, it's better to be safe than sorry. Take care. DD
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Hi Legs

Sorry only on meth and preds , as DD says i do have a booklet for meth and have to have blood test once a month .And receptionist update for me .

karen .xx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    They only gave me a book for Mtx and I have never been offered one for Enbrel. I wouldn't use my Mtx one because that's what its specifically for. I might ask for a copy of my blood results sheet when I next see the Rheumy in November and see what she says.

Luv
    Love, Legs x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I didn't have a special one for the enbrel either nor the humira. The meth booklet is the one my hospital uses. DD
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Ah I see. I don't use it because if I was carrying it and had an accident where I was unconscious it would look like I'm on Mtx when I'm not, whereas I believe you are Dreamdaisy?

If I felt the need to write it down I could always make up my own booklet on Word or Excel to fill in at appointments. :D

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    When I was on enbrel only I wrote that in the book, I used a whole column and wrote it in big black letters! Now it says meth (the dose) and humira (ditto). I also have a post-it with my other meds and doses on the back page. It is hard at times to know what to do for the best but creating your own record sheet is a natty idea! DD