Ankle Fusion Update

Options
bobbyger
bobbyger Member Posts: 155
edited 8. Oct 2012, 13:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well folks,

Been almost a year and a half since my fusion so I thought I'd update you all on how things are going.
Its surpising how little pain I get on the original site now (no painkillers for about 10 months now). i do get some pain but it is elsewhere on the ankle and on the joints of my outer 3 toes. I reckon this is the other joints moving more to compensate from the lack of movement in my ankle. I am able to walk for miles without any pain apart from some tenderness on the sole of my heel (again possibly due to the lack of motion)
What is good is when people find out I have had a fusion and they didn't even realise as there is nothing obvious in my gait and no limp at all.
Been able to break into a light jog for 50 metres or so but that does look akward.
I get cramp now and again in my calf which is a bit painfull as I cannot fully stretch it off.
My calf is also looking quite wimpy compared to my other one which looks a bit odd when in shorts (Going to Spain for 2 weeks tomorrow so best put up with it as it'll be too hot for jeans).

Well, thats about it for the update but for all those out ther looking in who are getting or considering an ankle fusion. I can wholeheartidly reccomend it as it really has made my life so much more bearable (only miss the football and running)

Take care all

Rob

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well I never - I am so pleased that it's gone so well for you Rob, I remember your doubts and concerns and look at you now! 10 months without the dullers - ye gods man, you don't belong here any more! :wink: Please go and live life as it should be lived (albeit with minor restrictions) but I hope you look in every now and again as fusion worries do crop up and your experience can only be a positive spin.

I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Rob
    And thank you for sharing this, I am sure it will help many,I do remember when you were worried about the outcome.
    And now look at you, I really do wish you well with the future, x
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Rob,

Jogging WOW! :o

That's really good news :D

Your post might help a friend of mine who's trying to decide between fusion and replacement.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know :D

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Hi Rob
    Great to hear from you again.I remember our conversations last year when we were both facing ankle surgery............ :!:
    I had an ankle replacement June last year (had another follow up Xray just last week,everything was ok..... :) ).Like yourself life is totally different now,although get occasional twinges if I overdo things regularly do 2-3 mile walks and next week am going back on my archaeological digs....... :D
    Whether replacement or fusion the outcome is worth it despite the initial concerns and it wasn't nearly such an ordeal as I first feared.
    Keep us updated (must confess I haven't posted as often I used to since life is so busy,but still try to find time to support others since others have been so supportive to me).
    Regards
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Bumping this up for Chris, I hope it helps.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Ah well done, Numpty! I only found pegleg's which is really more about her knee than ankle. :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Bumped up for Chris164
    Steven Wright
  • bobbyger
    bobbyger Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Cheers sticky. Chris has PM'ed me and I have hopefully given him some useful info.
  • pegleg
    pegleg Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Pleased you are getting on well with your fusion :D , I had mine done in 2009 after suffering with severe osteoarthritus , its fantastic :D and apart from the odd twinge when I walk on rough ground it gives me no trouble , and yeah I look daft if I have to run too :oops: x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    bobbyger wrote:
    Cheers sticky. Chris has PM'ed me and I have hopefully given him some useful info.

I'm sure Chris is in good hands and I hope all continues to go swimmingly for you too.
    Steven Wright