Newish and 1st Post

Options
Madonna
Madonna Member Posts: 22
edited 1. Jul 2012, 13:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have found this forum a wonderful, friendly, funny and supportive place to come and 'lurk around' on days when I feel a bit down.

I was diagosed OA last August and it went downhill and spread pretty quickly, just the luck of the draw I guess :(

I am very lucky as I have a great GP and Rhemy

My thumbs - who ever thought they would give bother :o are the most advanced and after 2 goes at joint injections without much improvement surgery is the next option.

I wonder is there anyone who has had thumb (basal) surgery? Was in replacement or fusion?
Did it help with pain relief or improve movement and strenght?

I know, I know, waay too many questions, sorry about that :D

Thanks

Comments

• earthspirit
    earthspirit Bots Posts: 278
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi & welcome to the forum. im quite new too and cant help at all with your questions. i have RA and 2 very sore thumb joints but obviously not in nearly the pain that you seem to be.

plenty OA people here though so sure someone will be along soon to offer you the very best in advice & support.

it must be really difficult managing to do things with damaged thumbs and shows how much most of us take our bones for granted prior to these awful diagnosis.

good luck if you do go ahead with op
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi Madonna, I can't really help, but I am waiting for a wrist fusion. When that has been done, I need fusions for both thumbs. I have RA, and extensive damage to both hands.
    I have had a lot of helpful advice from a lovely lady on this forum, as regards my wrist fusion.
    I will watch this thread with interest.
    Wishing you well,
    Numpty
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Hi Madonna

Welcome to the forum , i have replied to your post twice now but will not submit ?is my pc having a hissy fit ?

karen
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Madonna

Welcome to the forum.

I to have oa and have nasty thumbs like you say, so can sympathise - I do not get so much pain anymore now as they have just about got as bad as they are going to get. :roll: Injections have helped for a time in the past but is not a cure of course. Both my thumbs at the base look horrible but I am able to cope most times so I have not gone down the route of surgery. I am 61 years of age now.

I know of someone who had surgery on both thumbs at different times, the first op was a success and the second op was not great with reference to strength. She can no longer peel vegetables for example, unless she is using this as an excuse so her hubby has to do them. :lol: Apparently the second op was performed by another surgeon and a different way. As with any op, we all react differently. Should you go down the route of an operation, success rates is one thing to ask your surgeon about.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Madonna
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, it's good to have somewhere to ask questions and get advice from others who understand. :)

Numpty my dear you really have a bad time with RA and I hope your fusion surgery is successful in the meantime you take care.

Elnafinn I also wonder will the pain 'burn out' in the thumbs and wrists and better to save surgery for the knees.
    I never did have much of a 'hand modelling' career anyway :lol:
    Isn't this a great site to visit and its thanks to all who take the time and effort to reply, it's very much appreciated.
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hi Madona nice to see you, sorry your having so much problem I'm simila with my thumbs its amazing how much you never realised how much you depend on thumbs day to day. Hope you feeling better soon.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • Madonna
    Options
    Hi Colin Its nice to meet and talk to you and all on the forum.

Sorry your having problems with the 'old arthur' as well.

It's the small things that seem to defeat me - picking up coins/paper, opening jars/bottles (must say OH opens the wine bottle for me)/ shampoo/shower wash etc. are all impossible so we just leave the lids and tops loose/off everything - soo not health and safety! :roll: I hasten to add we have no young children.

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Madonna

You could enquire about hand splints. I have never used them. There are some to wear only at night and others for the day.

Like you I do have trouble with jars but have a couple of devices to help me, if necessary and if on occasion I still have problems, hubby comes to the rescue. :)

:lol: Funnily enough I can always open a bottle of wine :D Yep, fiddly coins in the purse is cumbersome for me so tend to use credit card!

When I am having some pain with the thumbs, which is not often now, as I already said, I find a wheat bag wrapped around them is very soothing. I always prefer heat to ice.

I am able to use secatours in the garden and so on, so am pleased about that. Sometimes after a long stint in the garden my thumbs have a whinge. :wink:

I do tend to put the lids on properly again so are to test my strength, as they say lose it or use it and also grandaughter is here every so often. :wink:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    Options
    Just wanted to say Heya and welcome to the forum.

I can't help with thumbs I'm afraid, probably the only bit of me thats ok, unless my hair counts :D

You will get lots of advice here.

Fols x
  • Heather65
    Heather65 Member Posts: 262
    Options
    Hi madonna,
    and welcome i dont know anything about thumbs as my trouble is in my neck but i just wanted to welcome you ,ive found it very helpful and imformative ,and when things are not going ok you can always have a moan :) ,
    Heather65 :)
  • Madonna
    Options
    You really are a great bunch and thanks for the lovely warm welcome.

I have several thumb/wrist and knee splints from hospital and physio but to be honest I hate wearing them - is it just me :roll: I only wear them when necessary and its just me and OH at home.
    I will try the heat packs, they sound very soothing.
    Oh well, back to the GP for more Naproxen, cocos, amitriptyline etc. :(
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Madonna, it's lovely to meet you and I am glad you have joined us. I was recently given some splints to wear at night (my 'beige beauties :wink: ) to help with the numbness and tingling I get in my fingers: they are not the most comfy of things but they are making a difference and that is the important bit. I too struggle with lids etc but found a circle of anti-slip matting a great boon. I recently bought a palm-peeler for veg and it is a lovely little device - no strain on the fingers at all but it has taken a little while to learn how to use it to its best advantage. I can't help on the surgery front as I have a different set of problems to you - are you seeing an orthopaedic chappie about that? I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben