Electric shock via needles direct onto nerve. Help/info pls?

Options
Folara
Folara Member Posts: 568
edited 2. Jul 2012, 12:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Heya peeps

My pain consultant has decided that as no other injections are making any difference to my back pain and the back consultant doesn't want to operate on the 3 ruptured disks (god knows why) that the next step is some kind of electrical treatment.

He described it such:

2 needles will be inserted into my back, one with an electrode on it. He will lift the sciatic nerve and then touch parts of it and ask me where I can feel it in my legs. When it gets to the worst bits I have to tell him and he will then electrocute it, thereby stimulating the nerve into thinking its ok.

Well that's what he described it as pretty much.

Anyone heard of this? I can't find anything about it.

Fols x

Comments

• resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ummmm, No, Never heard of that one. WIll be interested to read what you manage to find out. Not sure I like the sound of it, but, if it works, then it must be worth it.

Sorry I can't be any more help
    Jan xx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    hi hun.
    Sounds a little similar to what I've just had. Only mine was using radio frequency to kill off the nerves.
    Sorry I can't help more. I'm still a tad doped up. :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Hi Folara

Sorry i cannot help you , but will be thinking of you when the time comes .
    ((()))xxx
    karen.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Folara, I haven't heard of this either and, to be honest, I don't like the sound of it. :? I suppose the key point is will it help? Surely he has suggested it because he thinks it will so it has to be worth a whirl. I will be there to hold your hand, promise. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I've not heard of it, Fols, but I guess it's any port in a storm, isn't it? If nothing else is working then, why not? I hope it works for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Fols,

I believe that the procedure I had was similar to Tony's. Anyway, so far so good, since 3 December 2009 to date, my sciatica has gone!

The procedure I had was called cervical Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA). It is also called cervical facet thermal coagulation or rhizotomy. :lol: I had to look at the pamphlet I was given, for that info!

I wish you well with the procedure mentioned by your consultant, should you proceed.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    Options
    Thanks everyone and sorry I've not been on much again, my Internet is just terrible. I manages to get on for about 5 mins and then it goes again grrrr

Anyway, I can't find a thing on this so I guess I'm just going to have to go along and see what happens. Not an easy thing for me as I'm a control freak.

I shall let you know what happens.

Fols x