Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
edited 3. Jul 2012, 06:13 in Community Chit-chat archive
To my 'selected' strange-minded friends:
If you can read the following paragraph, please let me know
i read this first go see how you do

Only great minds can read this
This is weird, but interesting!

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE

Comments

• fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Colin

Yes i could read that , i wasn't even wearing my glasses :lol:
  • earthspirit
    earthspirit Bots Posts: 278
    Options
    nae bother at all lol

my granda taught me to read at a very young age - first i learnt the alphabet reading off a long list of letters and memorised by heart. he then gave me huge encyclopedias where reading was really difficult but he made me sound out each word according to how it was written. some words were very difficult as the spelling did not relate to how you say them but if you could read the can who where by at etc etc you could start to make sense of what you were reading.

i loved asking him questions and he would find bits from these encyclopedias and big books that would give me the answers if i could work out how to read them.

i used similar methods with my 3 kids and all were reading simple books quite fluently by the time they were 3 - 4 years old. did cause a problem when my son went to school and refused to read the baby books they gave him.

disgusted that my eldest daughter has not yet taught my grandson who is barely able to write his own name at 4 and is just about to go to school. when i get back home to london its the first thing i will be doing with him. aint gonna be any use at teacing him frisbee etc etc lol

if anyone got kids struggling with reading beyond the age of about 8 its cos they aint learnt the letter combinations of ea, ou, oi, ee, ow, etc etc

the art of reading is a wonderful gift we have in a world where many intelligent people are held back because they struggle to advance through lack of knowledge of the written word.

spelling is a different matter and just detest when people get pulled up over this as the fault lies not just with schools but with parents who fail to read/make them read out loud.

i have been amazed at how many people these days have their kids classed as having learning difficulties when in fact they have lacked the basics in the understanding of words. also...... only imo, if you speak in a strong dialect or broken english and never speak proper english to your kids, they will possibly struggle to learn to read and write with great ease as technically they are learning a foreign language which is different to the words and meanings that they take from home.

oh **** im on a bit of a rant here...sorry :o
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Wow Colin, that's amazing!
    I never would have believed it. Always knew I was strange though.
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 1. Jul 2012, 12:24
    Options
    For fluent readers it's a doddle. As lnog as teh firist and lsat letetrs of the wrod are corerct the brian wlil accurtealy decdoe. You do need to be an orthographic reader however, if you struggle with literacy (and many do because it is not the simple process that so many who can do it without thinking believe it to be) then you may struggle with such an exercise.

Read this out loud and it will sound absolutely fine. 'To bares went into the woulds too fined there grate pales of whine . '

Accurate spelling requires a strong visual memory, e.g. habit has one b yet rabbit has two. If your visual memory is not that strong then selecting which homophone you need is a struggle demonstrated by the 'bares' sentence. There are 26 letters in the alphabet, 23 individual letter sounds and they have to combine to form the 44 speech sounds of English, hence all the overlaps in spelling patterns and sounds. It's far from easy. The same goes for grammar and punctuation, they are easy if you know how but if you don't then it's a struggle. If parents and teachers cannot spell or punctuate correctly (and many can't) then how are children supposed to learn? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Avrielle
    Avrielle Member Posts: 182
    Options
    Cool! Only 55 out of 100 can read that?

I read it without any problem. Strange how the human mind works eh?
    Life is just a ride. Up and down, round and around, thrills and chills, very brightly coloured and very loud. But don't ever be afraid, because it is just a ride.
  • Avrielle
    Avrielle Member Posts: 182
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    For fluent readers it's a doddle. As lnog as teh firist and lsat letetrs of the wrod are corerct the brian wlil accurtealy decdoe. You do need to be an orthographic reader however, if you struggle with literacy (and many do because it is not the simple process that so many who can do it without thinking believe it to be) then you may struggle with such an exercise.

Read this out loud and it will sound absolutely fine. 'To bares went into the woulds too fined there grate pales of whine . '

Accurate spelling requires a strong visual memory, e.g. habit has one b yet rabbit has two. If your visual memory is not that strong then selecting which homophone you need is a struggle demonstrated by the 'bares' sentence. There are 26 letters in the alphabet, 23 individual letter sounds and they have to combine to form the 44 speech sounds of English, hence all the overlaps in spelling patterns and sounds. It's far from easy. The same goes for grammar and punctuation, they are easy if you know how but if you don't then it's a struggle. If parents and teachers cannot spell or punctuate correctly (and many can't) then how are children supposed to learn? DD

Super interesting!

The strange thing is that reading bad spelling and words that sound like other words is something I sometimes really struggle to read.

Ho can bare dis sorta text speek?

Wear do peephole reed this in for ums?

I take a lot longer to untangle the words and make sense of the correct spelling and meaning.

But jsut redaing tihs is not taht mcuh of a porblem

Here is a good one to help with this sort of thing.

One-one was a Racehorse. Two-two was one too. One-one won one race. Two-two won one too.
    Life is just a ride. Up and down, round and around, thrills and chills, very brightly coloured and very loud. But don't ever be afraid, because it is just a ride.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Colin and DD
    Very interesting..I could read it, but now I will take more notice of my spelling... :? :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i am the first at admit my spelling is rubbish and i could read it no problem my teachers were not very good they helped those who could read and left those of us who could not to read to the children who could no help for us so confidence was never built and i always doubt my spelling val
    val
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    speed read through that one Colin. My whole life is rush rush rush so It was easy.

E :D
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The general assumption seems to be that if you speak a language you can therefore read it and write it. Utter nonsense. The ability to interpret a set of symbols, attributing sounds to them and recognising how the sounds change depending upon which letters are around is a very artificial thing. We force our eyes to focus on one point at the same time and to track in a very strange way, both horizontally and vertically. It is entirely possible to have a genius IQ but lack the basic phonological (speech sound) ability of interpreting and blending skills which are required to make sense of and generate written language. About 75% of our language is phonically regular, i.e. you can spell it how you say it, but the ability to know which sound should be attributed to the more unusual letter combinations etc is a very hard thing for some and they should never be mocked.

Language is a flowing, evolving entity, text speak is a relatively new development and is fine in text conversations (it's interesting how people vary in how they reduce words) but we need a standard form of written language for everyone to use to help establish clarity of meaning. Children are losing the ability to communicate effectively both via written and oral work thanks to the explosion in social networking etc. And as for learning a better vocabulary, well, that is rapidly becoming a skill that people cannot be bother to pursue. If you don't have the words to explain the things that you need to explain how can you explain them?

Sorry, I'll get down from my soap box. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Colin1
    Options
    err yes ok
    colin
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello Acolin,

How long did it takemyou to type it?
  • Colin1
    Options
    I just cippied it had it for years
    Colin
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    read it no prob :wink:
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Wow I read that no problem Colin!! Does that make me a total fruit loop?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    If you don't have the words to explain the things that you need to explain how can you explain them?

`Then you should say what you mean,' the March Hare went on.

`I do,' Alice hastily replied; `at least--at least I mean what I say--that's the same thing, you know.'

`Not the same thing a bit!' said the Hatter.

From 'Alice in Wonderland' by Lewis Carroll

My favourite book as a child. I still love it and the way it plays with language.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Colin1
    Options
    Whenever Mrs C and i had a disagreement I always directed her to this quote.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Colin
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Ah, now, Colin, communication between married couples, whether verbal or written, is an entire minefield.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright