Dog not well

Options
justinbarrow
justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
edited 17. Jul 2012, 03:51 in Community Chit-chat archive
We have a 12 year old golden retriever that developed a mouth tumour and we were told he would probally only last 6 months its now been 14 months and he is still with us but now he has started to pass big blood clots in his urine. The vets did test his urine and the blood was at the higher end of the scale so they give him 2 weeks worth of anti biotics which cost £103 just for the tablets they cleared up the symptoms within 24 hours.

He stopped taking them on Sunday and now these clots have come back within 2 days of finishing the course. We called The vet who said that if it was a urinary tract infection the symptoms would not have come back as soon as they have and want £371 to carry out further tests such as ultrasounds and urine cultures ect we are reluctant to do this as if they find something they will have to opporate on him and at the age of 12 was told it can put a lot of stress on an elderly dog.

The can feel a mass/lump near his bladder area and although they cant be certain they think that it may be a tumour/growth as if it was bladder stones his urine would be rusty in colour as stones rattle around and cause irritation but his urine is clear apart from these clots which they said in their experience could indicate a tumour.

We cant get insurance for him due to his mouth tumour and would have to foot the bill ourselves which could cost upto £1,000 then he would still have his mouth cancer.

We feel like we are letting him down but the vet said that 12 years and 2 months is a good age for a Golden Retriever.

So we have to decide what to do - its awful. He is not distressed and looks normal but we know that in time things will get worse.

Does anyone here think that the cost of pet tablets is sky high £103 for 2 weeks of anti biotics seems very expensive.

Just thought Id share with the forum as I'm sure there are many here that have lost pets or had to deal with them falling ill.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm so sorry. It's a really difficult time when you have a pet in severe difficulties. Personally I think the temptation is to try to keep them going for one's own sake rather than the wellbeing of the animal concerned. It sounds to me like your poor dog can't have much quality of life left. It's a tough decision and I don't envy you it.

As for the antibios - my son, in USA, had to pay about the same for a week's course before he got his medical insurance.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • justinbarrow
    Options
    He is sleeping a lot now but he is comfortable and not panting or showing signs of pain, We have him on a diet of chicken and rice as he cannot eat hard foods in case they catch the lumps in his mouth.

He is still eating and drinking will just keep an eye on him.
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Hi Justin

Sorry to hear this , Poor Doogie :( Which ever way you go i wish you well .Its a very hard .

Hugs and kisses for the dog (((())))xxx
  • georgie66
    georgie66 Member Posts: 403
    Options
    hi justin.
    i am so sorry to here this..
    and plenty of hugs coming your way.
    for you and your dog..

georgie :(
  • justinbarrow
    Options
    Thanks everyone, will keep you posted He is such a placid thing lol his hips are starting to sieze up also when he has been laying for a while.

Happens to us all :roll:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Being humans and therefore having the NHS behind us (with items costing £7.40 or whatever it is now) can 'blind' us to the true cost of medications. Drugs, scans, Xrays, operations etc are expensive, then factor in vets' fees (they are professional people after all) and yup, the cost appears scandalous.

I hope he isn't suffering (I guess one can usually tell if an animal is?) but knowing what you do (and putting costs to one side) I think there is only one option. You say he's 12 years old (84 in human terms) and that is a good age. This is far from an easy time for you, Justin, but the needs of the dog are paramount, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,948
    Options
    Hi Justin
    i had a goldie she was 12 she had arther i was walking her to the next street to the vets for her inj when she had a heart attack in the street and died.
    you have to think of them being in pain.
    i know you will do the best for your dog.
    take care.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • justinbarrow
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    Hi Justin
    i had a goldie she was 12 she had arther i was walking her to the next street to the vets for her inj when she had a heart attack in the street and died.

Thats very sad - I know its tough and very hard but we are just keeping a very close eye on him. Thanks everyone.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    as pet owners decisions like this are part of it unfortunately.. It's a terrible thing to have to do but I'm sure that you will make the right decision for your lovely friend.. I had to take my lovely Cleo (cat) and have her put to sleep, she was a real good age though. And both her and Ra have always been our babies..
    I know that at some point I shall have to go through it again with Ra, it's gonna break my heart again but it's not fair to keep them with us if they start suffering..
    My heart goes out to you matey... I wish you all the best.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    So sorry
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,471
    Options
    Dear Justin

I am so so sorry.

Tis a terrible time when a beloved pet is ill. When my old Eric cat was....I kept him going until I felt he was suffering and not getting much out of his life :(

YOurs is still enjoying food etc so for now all is well.

Tis the last duty of a loving owner isn't it? I am so so sad for you.

Love and hugs

Toni xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Justin, If your a long member of the forum you would know I've had a recent upsetting time with loosing Bubba my cat, while he was poorly with being diagnoised with Diabetes. I know how you feel with the cost of the vet bills!! I think all in all the last weeks of Bubba life cost me near on £600.
    Making the decision is very hard, esspecially when they seem fine, I will tell you what my OH and I decided, when (Bubba) showed signs on being in the slightest pain or distress we would have him put to sleep. The fact your doggy is passing blood clots that's not a good sign. You need to sit down as a family and say do you want to keep your doggy living, passing blood clots caused by know one knows, not knowing if the illness will get worse quickly or last another year or two. It's only a decision you and your family need to decide. I'm sorry your having to go through this, I hope your doggy baby doesn't have to suffer and I'm sure he'll love you all what ever you decide.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,471
    Options
    Justin

I was just wondering how your beloved boy was doing?

I do hope that you are all coping ok.

LOve

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Sorry Justin only just seen this.

I can only hope he is recovering and comfortable.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    So Sorry Justin i have only just seen this :cry:

It is a very awful time for you, hugs for you and your doggie, they are so special to us arn't they? I do hope he's comfortable.

Rose x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I was thinking about your doggie all weekend Justin hope he's ok, Send you, your family and doggie ((((HUGS)))) .
  • lancslass43
    lancslass43 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    I've always had dogs and know how heartbreaking it is to have them put to sleep but it's more upsetting to see them suffer. I had 3 dogs put to sleep in 18 months and was near to having a breakdown myself! You will know when the time is right. I wish you well.