new to this

lancslass43
lancslass43 Member Posts: 20
I started having problems 12 months ago, hands and feet swelling, pain in wrists, elbows, shoulders etc. I went to the doctors 3 or 4 times in the following months until finally one of the doctors had blood tests done that showed I may have rheumatoid arthritis and referred me to a rheumotologist. In June I was sent an appointment to see the rheumatologist in September. In the past few weeks I have definitely gone worse, it's now in my back and leg. I'm in so much pain during the night that I am lucky to have 3 hours sleep. I know there are people much worse than I am, how do they manage the pain at 2 o'clock in the morning. Sorry to moan but I'm so tired and need advise on how to cope.
Lancs lass

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lancslass

Welcome to the forum from a forum member. :) I am sorry to hear that you do not see a rheumy until September, which is a long time to wait especially when you are not so good at this time and as a result not sleeping well.

Have you been back to your gp who should prescribe you with medication to help if he/she has not done so already. If the meds, you have been prescribed are not working too well, perhaps visit your GP to discuss your deterioration and lack of sleep at night.

Gentle exercise can help, along with heated wheatbags (in microwave) and ice for inflammation.

Why don't you copy and paste your thread onto the Living with Arthritis (LWA) zone. You will get many replies of help and support on there.

The helplines will be along soon to reply to you. :)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi lancs lass

I’m sorry to hear about the pain you are currently experiencing.

If you do have rheumatoid or another type of inflammatory arthritis you will usually only be able to bring it under control once you’ve seen the rheumatologist and start on Disease Modifying drug treatment (see our booklet on Living with Rheumatoid Arthritis for more info at http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets/main_content/RAbookletApril2010.pdf ).

In the meantime you could ring up the rheumatology team to see if you can get an earlier appointment (if someone cancels) and also see your doctor about getting more effective pain medication and possibly getting something to help you sleep (see our booklet on coping with pain at http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets/main_content/Copingwithpainbooklet2011.pdf).

You are welcome to ring us on 0808 800 4050 to have a chat about your current situation.

All the best

Nick
    Helplines Team
  • lancslass43
    lancslass43 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks a lot for taking time to listen to my moaning. I've been back to the doctor and he has put me on dihydrocodeine at bedtime. I use the wheat bags, they do help. I will be taking my new medication in a little while and look forward to a good nights sleep...I'll let you know.