Cherokee wisdom

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 17. Jul 2012, 16:23 in Community Chit-chat archive
Apologies if you've seen this before. My son sent it to me years ago and I've just re-discovered it while tidying up my inbox. I still like it.

One evening an old Cherokee chief told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.

He said, "My son, the battle is between two wolves. One is Evil. It is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority and ego.

"The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked: "Grandfather, which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee chief simply replied: "The one you feed."
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Very wise words.Mig
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Oh yes I remember this one now, the North American Indians were wise old buggers, they also had a totally harmonic life with nature unlike us, there's another old saying by them about white man's greed it goes something like this.

Only after the last tree is cut down, the last dear killed and the last fish caught will white man finally learn you can't eat money.
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Options
    Love it...so true.
    Ruby
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Profound and very wise :D