Neck Pain, Tinnitus

Options
kittymedaughter
kittymedaughter Member Posts: 81
edited 19. Jul 2012, 09:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been suffering from tinnitus for the last 3 weeks, sounds like i am under a electric pylon, I am really suffering from neck and shoulder pain, top of my spine and bottom of my spine(near coccyx) is very very painful the muscles near my spine feel swollen and a masseur did tell me that she felt i had fluid around my spine

..the only relief i have from the lower back pain is to sit or lean forward..It is getting very difficult to stay in work (desk job) and i have had to start to use both crutches rather than my walking stick...I have fibromyaliga and just diagnosis with arthritis in my neck and knees.

Is the tinnitus common with neck arthritis? I have never had it all the time before, but it just varies in loudness..sometimes really loud other times just a little, but it is always there now and it is driving me up the wall...I cannot get to see my GP til Monday.

Comments

• suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, lots of us on here with neck pain and tinnitus. Do you take nsaids? They can cause tinnitus. Have you tried heat patches or a hot water bottle on your neck? It can help to relax the muscles a bit.

I have tinnitus from menieres disease, so it is always important to get new symptoms checked out in case they are not related to your existing illness.

Its a shame you cant be seen by your gp sooner. Muscle pain in the back and neck can be very painful. I have muscle relaxants as my muscles go into spasm.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi like suzygirl says there are quite a few on with OA of the neck and tinnitus, and she is right when she says some meds can cause it, I think it was the antiinflams.
    I do hope you get something to help, I use my microwave wheat cushion on my neck....couldn't live without it.
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    Options
    Sorry to say there is definitely supposed to be a link.

I have had tinnitus a lot longer than I have had my neck problems though and some medications can cause it too.

Like others have said a warm wheatbag can really help ease it. Necks are vile when they kick off aren't they? I also don't sleep on two pillows anymore :(

Love and hugs

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I too have tinnitus ( a side-effect of ten years on sulphasalazine) and yes, it's miserable. :( My neck is very 'crunchy' and my shoulders hurt when I flare but I haven't kept a record about whether the tinnitus worsens when I do so perhaps it's time I should. :wink: Mine is there all the time and seems worse at night but that is probably because that's the time the world quietens. I hope your GP can help in some way - I admit I've never told mine about it as I keep forgetting about it! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elsa56
    elsa56 Member Posts: 98
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I too have tinnitus ( a side-effect of ten years on sulphasalazine) and yes, it's miserable. :( My neck is very 'crunchy' and my shoulders hurt when I flare but I haven't kept a record about whether the tinnitus worsens when I do so perhaps it's time I should. :wink: Mine is there all the time and seems worse at night but that is probably because that's the time the world quietens. I hope your GP can help in some way - I admit I've never told mine about it as I keep forgetting about it! DD
    Im not sure if Tinnitus and neck problems are connected but one night in bed I heard a loud crack in my neck and a really loud droning noise for about 20 minutes. Scared the life out of me at the time, I know have a permanent high pitched whistle that gets worse and unbearsble when its quiet. My GP said it was due to taking Amatripalin that i had been given for the pain.
    My brother and sister both have it and have hearing aids which they say does help. It could be hiredatry
    Hope you get it sorted