A sign of the times?

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 19. Jul 2012, 18:40 in Community Chit-chat archive
I was waiting to be served in our local corner shop behind a young man with two little boys in a buggy. They were two beautiful children, so I naturally smiled at them. They both smiled back at me with lovely cheeky grins, so I said to their Dad, ''What lovely children you've got!'' He didn't reply, but frowned at me as though I had said something nasty. Then he pointedly turned his back and moved the buggy to the other side of him, away from where I was standing. What did he think I was going to do? Did he think I was going to kidnap them or something?
When my twins were little and sitting in their twin buggy, people often used to comment on how lovely they looked. I took it as a compliment, and always smiled and said thank you to them. Once a lady who was a complete stranger gave me two hats which she had knitted for them, just because she liked seeing them when she was out shopping. I was very touched by her kindness, and always made a point of stopping to talk to her after that.
Is it a sign of the times that people are so suspicious of any kindness shown towards their children these days? What a sad world if so!
Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I hope not, Joan. I hope it's just one surly individual. I guess their Mum must be a lovely person as they clearly don't get their charm from their Dad :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • joanlawson
    Options
    I must say that I was taken aback by his reaction. I just thought he was plain rude. No wonder that some children lack basic manners when they start school with role models like that :roll:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hi Joan

I smiled at baby twins today in S***sbury's their parents smiled back :D

Just a not very nice man Joan.

:(

Love

Toni xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    bad manners are bad manners some people are just not worth bothering with val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    He was nowt but a churlish oaf. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Oh Joan, what a horrible thing to happen. I can imagine how you must have felt.
    Let's hope the children don't grow up to be like him.
    Numpty
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Obviously not a doting dad,most dads would have been pleased with the compliment.
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello joan,

He might not have been their dad.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    no its not sign of times, either a rude person or got the worries of the world and unable to have some chit chat
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments. I hope it was just a one-off occurrence, and not a sign of the times. I do think that people are often more reluctant to show kindness towards children these days in case the parents disapprove in some way.
    Ichabod- I didn't have the time to conduct a DNA test to establish the paternity of the children, and the fact that they were calling the young man Daddy proves nothing, so you could be right :lol:
    I agree with DD,( He was nowt but a churlish oaf.)