Wheres Santa?

Options
7worlds
7worlds Member Posts: 302
edited 21. Jul 2012, 14:55 in Community Chit-chat archive
I actually bought some christmas presents today. Dont know if im mad, sad or super organised. Anyone else the same?

7worlds

Comments

• Melrymax
    Melrymax Member Posts: 226
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Unfortunately.... I fit into the same category what ever it is lol. I start my Xmas shopping in the January sales!!!
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I always intend to shop early, but somehow it ends up a last minute scramble.
    I'm usually to be found wrapping presents on Christmas eve. :oops:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Yup, me too. Cards, paper and tags bought in the January sales, gifts bought throughout the year. I can no longer do it all in the three weeks before Xmas, somehow that is no longer fun. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Can't blame you it will save on costs, you should always have a plan as we use to say at dicot A and this is thinking way ahead of the curve.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    But how do you guys all find the presents come Christmas? :o
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • 7worlds
    7worlds Member Posts: 302
    Options
    I keep a list so i dont forget what ive bought, then hide them under the bed.Nice to see from your posts that its not just me!! :D

7worlds
  • Melrymax
    Options
    I have a present corner in the loft so any birthdays I nip up there to see if I have anything first and when it gets to about sept I make a list of what's up there.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,470
    Options
    I hide them all over the place

and I DO loose them :roll:

:oops:

love

Toni xx
  • mellman01
    Options
    It's easy as many years ago I suggeted to all the family that we only get for the kids, I just couldn't see the point of tramping round the flippin shops looking for something somone didn't need or want anyway most of it will end up in a charity shop or land fill anyway so what is the point?, the killer for me was the boxing day sales, you've just spent a load of cash and now they advertise it all at 50% of the very next day it's rubbing salt into the wounds, and it's a game I'd had enough of playing, Crimbo isn't about excess and shopping it's about having a good time with kith and kin, de-stress and jump off the retail money-go-round after all it's the exact opposite of what it should be about anyway so give it the heave ho and stop letting them turn you into a sheep crossed with a headless chicken every year it's so uplifting when you do trust me.

Sorry rant over!.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I get the cards and wrapping paper in the January sales and then put it to the very back of my mind until around November.

Mind you with the price of the second class stamp now plus the hike up in sending abroad, I have a feeling that I shall be sending a fair amount of e-cards this christmas. I am paid up for 2 years with a certain company which works out very reasonable, for lovely musical cards for every occasion. :D:wink:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    I agree, Mel, I have cut down immensely on buying presents for family. It has taken a good few years to educate some of them though but that is up to them. MIL bless her still insists and is always far too generous and says "no one is going to tell me not to buy presents". Cannot argue with her at 93 years old! I hasten to add we do buy her a little something.

I find buying vouchers an easy option and always welcome. :wink:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    That is a good point about e cards now stamps are 60p first class. I expect I'll be sending a lot fewer this year. Also this will be the first year I won't be sending the Nieces and Nephews money because they are all over 20 and earning now.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hi Elna it’s so nice not having all the hassle to be honest, I remember when I had the idea, we were in Reading late season shopping as usual in all the heaving masses trudging along desperately trying to figure out what to get for everyone when I suddenly stopped and looked around me and thought why the hell are we doing this?, no one looks like they’re enjoying any of it?, So we stopped for a bit and I text my sister and put the idea to her and she said she liked it and text the others and that was it no more crimbo shopping for us, we haven’t bothered since it’s a really liberating feeling.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    :lol: Elna likes this. :lol:

• Melrymax
    Options
    If like my husbands sister and us we have kids so we don't buy eachother anything and get just the kids with a £10 limit. One of the mother inlaws we just continue a magazine subscription and for close friends and family that i have no idea what to get, I make some sweets and cakes and make a little hamper (I get to experiment in the kitchen then) last year my other mother in law got a Xmas cake and a bottle of mulled wine lol (made by me). I like to keep Xmas as cheap as I can but do have a tends cy to forget what I have got my children and they end up with far too much.
    This year they have had the majority of thier Xmas present early (they got an outdoor playcentre thing) so only a few little things so it doesn't look like Santa forgot them!
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    We all agreed to stick to a £10 budget per adult but last Christmas it was 'upped' without prior warning to £20! I will have to get in quick this year to suggest £10 again as its so expensive when you add it all up.

E :D
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I always look at the cards and wrapping paper in the sales, but then cant be bothered....more things to store....then come November I wished I had bought them.
    And we stopped buying the grown ups a couple of years ago, I love buying the children....and when they get to there teens we give them money or phone top up vouchers....
    What the eck are we doing talking about Christmas.... :? Im still waiting for summer :lol:
    Love
    Barbara