Tension headaches - cures please

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 22. Jul 2012, 03:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Don't know why, but I have started to get tension headaches. Has anyone out there got any tried and tested cures, apart from decapitation that is.
It seems that Summer has arrived.

Janet

Comments

• suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I use the forehead stick that cools and relaxes the muscles, combined with a hot water bottle on my neck works for me. The stick should contain levementhol to be most effective (sp?)

It gets a bit much taking pain pills all the time :roll: Lavender oil is also good for headaches.
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Hi

Oh ive had these and they are horrible arent they? I just got told to take 500mg of paracetamol twice a day and to be honest it didnt help, they just went of their own accord...With yours its the heat that triggers it is it, mine was stress related....Hope you get some relief soonish?

Elainex
    Don't know why, but I have started to get tension headaches. Has anyone out there got any tried and tested cures, apart from decapitation that is.
    It seems that Summer has arrived.

Janet
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hi,
    I honestly don't think there is a cure for tension headaches......only less stress. If you know what is stressing you try to alliviate it.
    I know its not easy but remember stress isn't good for your joints either.
    I also know the heat may not help either but hey...summer is here at last I hope. I wish I could be more helpful. May
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi if it the warmth then try cool cloth on back of neck but if it stress make sure you are not clenching jaw muscles nice warm wheat bag helps after warm bath good luck val
    val
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I find lavender very calming and relaxing,you could give it a try.Got a pillow mist spray from a**n.Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    How are your shoulders, Knuckle? I find I have to deliberately relax mine when I'm using the sticks or the Clatterator (my four-wheeled walker), it's far too easy to stiffen when trying to move. I burn diluted lavender oil in the 'office' (for the pupils' benefit as well as mine) but, given the choice you are currently facing, it's no wonder that you are struggling with this. I would try heat around the shoulders and neck to help relax your muscles, I hope your head is well-suppported when sleeping and that it all eases soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. It's strange that some of you said "heat".
    I was sitting in the garden today when I thought to myself this sun is bright, then I felt a bit odd and then the headache struck. Sun and heat doesn't usually affect me - perhaps it's a sign of old age! Had a routine eye test yesterday, needed new lenses and so I thought I would treat myself to new frames as well. My husband coughed at the price and then said "they will probably see you out". Nice!

Janet :shock:
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Sounds just like a man,hope you are feeling better.Mig
  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi, my daughter suffered from loads of tension headaches which would eventually turn into migraines. Her GP is trained in acupuncture so he used it on her and she found it helped a lot.

Obviously not your everyday cure (i.e. pain killers and etc.) but may help if someone is a long term sufferer.

Ratface