Dairy foods?

Options
mrsshazbat
mrsshazbat Member Posts: 61
edited 5. Sep 2012, 12:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've just been to the local chemist for a prescription and while there asked the pharmacist what were the strongest painkillers I could buy over the counter, as I'm suffering quite badly and at least 2 weeks away from getting a GP appt (having to fit them around work as well). Everything on the shelf had 'use only for 3 days' on the label (is this a new thing?).

Anyway, she couldn't offer anything for continued use and recommended the usual suspects - ibuprofen, paracetomol, etc., I'm guessing not all at the same time :wink: However, she asked if I eat/drink a lot of dairy.

I have what I consider normal amounts of dairy; milk in tea (although always black coffee, which I drink when at work) and on cereal, measured amounts of cheese (30g, but I do love cheese), 1 or 2 yogurts each day (sometimes have yogurt instead of milk with certain cereal). I'm following the Slimming World plan so calcium is part of that.

Just wondered if anyone else had come across this or tried anything similar?

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I avoid all dairy foods as I find they cause my pains to rocket ; but that's me , others find no benefit from a restricted diet . Jillyb
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Hello Mrsshazbat.
    i have goats milk on my cereal and its nice to drink hot
    only a min in the microwave or it curdles.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I avoided dairy for years thanks to appalling eczema when I was a child - my mum realised that feeding me with 'good' food made things worse so thankfully gave up. :) I now have very little, a splash of skimmed milk in tea, cereals are eaten dry, cheese only when I feel the need and yet stuff still hurts. :roll: We're all different in what helps and what doesn't - try reducing to see what results and I hope it helps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i do not have strong chedder (which i love) often as i am sure makes things worse lol do not have milk in tea do not touch coffee and only have cerial couple of times a week but have had awfull headache today (did have cheese cob for dinner) slept most of afternoon val
    val
  • duvarayi
    duvarayi Member Posts: 68
    Options
    I use soya milk for my muesli, oats no milk, milk on accasional tea as my normal tea is redbush tea which I love without milk. I've not had cheese for months now but out of choice and I'm in pain everyday.

One man's medicine is another man's poison, I think that's true.

Babs
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Options
    Funny you should mention this topic, my pain levels rise when I've eaten cheese (don't often indulge) but maybe once a week... and milk in tea & coffee...

Someone once told me to try soya milk....

Perhaps I'll avoid cheese for a while...
    hugs freesia xxx
  • mrsshazbat
    Options
    Hmm, just practising using mouse with left hand - interesting!

I did do a basically vegan diet many moons ago before it was trendy (at least 25+ years ago now) and everything was massively expensive compared with 'normal' foods, which improved my psoriasis but could only be done for 3 months because of how strict it was (for a growing 12 year old as well). When I started getting eczema (and mainly because it was on my face) I tried going dairy-free for a long time. In fact it was only when we went to the US for our honeymoon and I couldn't locate soya milk that I reverted back to normal and <touch wood> I've never really had any difficulties since.

I realise everyone's different; might just cut back.
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Hi -

I seem to be okay on dairy foods, but it's tomatoes that do me in and I love a good tomato. Also sauces which are tomato based. I did read somewhere that people who suffer from arthritis should avoid red, yellow and orange vegetables - but as some of the others said - everybody is different.

Janet :D
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi I can't have any dairy because I'm dairy intolerant, this happened after having my Gall bladder out 8yrs ago after the op I found if I had any milk or cheese I had terrible stomach cramps and was very nauseas and sick. So went to my G.P who said I had become dairy intolerant it happens now and then after people have their Gall bladders out!? So I have learned to live with out cheese and if I really want milk I have soya milk. The Soya milkshakes are very nice (Strawberry & Chocolate). I also gave up coffee & Tea after I found they triggered my Migraines.
  • mrsshazbat
    Options
    Hi -

I seem to be okay on dairy foods, but it's tomatoes that do me in and I love a good tomato. Also sauces which are tomato based. I did read somewhere that people who suffer from arthritis should avoid red, yellow and orange vegetables - but as some of the others said - everybody is different.

Janet :D

I love tomatoes as well, in all their forms.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I'm no doctor but SW eating plan works for me......when I follow it :lol:
    I'm just back from holiday where it all went pear shape :oops:
    If you cut back on your dairy be careful of your H E ....A and B if you are following the rest of the plan.
    They are there for a reason.
    As for paracetamol and ibroprufen...you can take them together as far as I know.....better not to take them together but to space them out.....Ibrop. in between paracetamol.
    It all depends on what other meds you are taking.....I was prescribed paracetamol and ibrop. when needed by a GP but like i said...I'm not a doctor.
    Good Luck
    Hileena
  • eatingaway
    eatingaway Member Posts: 1
    edited 10. Sep 2012, 14:14
    Options
    My mum has psoriatic arthritis and after a very bad reaction to medication she decided to take the hollistic route and control her arthritis using diet and natural supplements only.
    The results are quite astonishing! Her CRP readings went from 33.8 to just 5.1 in around 12 months. She found that she cannot eat full fat dairy and opts for soy alternatives, but she can enjoy a small amount of very low fat dairy as well as some small amounts of goat's milk and cheese.
    On our blog we have details about the diet, including foods to completely avoid, foods to limit and essential anti-inflammatory foods. We also provide some research on the different 'essential' foods and new recipes each week, detailing how to incorporate these in to tasty meals.

[link deleted]

Please take a look and let me know if it helps any of you. We try to make it as simple as possible but it also requires some trial and error on the readers part.

Emma
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    I found a book called "Foods Which Fight Pain" which had quite a lot of evidence for food intolerances making arthritis worse, and giving up the offending substances making things better or even effecting a complete cure. To do it properly you have to go on a semi-elimination diet for a month, then add in foods gradually to see what happens. I did it, and it really helped me for several months; then my arthritis got lots worse and soon afterwards I had my bilateral TKR, with the consultant telling me there was virtually no cartilage left! "If your knee joints were a carpet, they'd be threadbare". Foods can't do much for that!!!!

So yes, giving up dairy may help you, or may not. For me it was milk (hard cheese was just fine), eggs, oranges, and bananas. For others it may be something different. Dairy is a common one, but so are citrus fruits, eggs, coffee, and several others. And some people are intolerant of something totally different. And for some it doesn't work at all.

Good luck if you try...