A very long walk!!

Options
alisunny
alisunny Member Posts: 24
edited 23. Jul 2012, 07:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone!
How is everyone doing? What are the plans this weekend?
I am posting for a bit of support!
I was diagnoised with RA just over a year ago, and I have found the past year pretty difficult, with pain and emotions and trying to deal with everything, as I imagine a lot of you can relate to.
I am now finally on a medication combination including methetraxte injections that seem to be working for me and I am feeling pretty positive.
So I have decided to take a massive step and take on a massive challenge to raise money for Arthritis Care. Me and 2 of my close friends (who I have managed to somehow rope into this whole thing!) are hiking all 86 miles of The Ridgeway over just 5 days.
As you guys can understand this will be an epic journey and a bloody tough challenge for me!
Having kept my condition a secret from pretty much everyone I know, I have taken the first step to tell people, finally, why I am doing this walk, and that seems to be a weight lifted from me.....sounds odd I know but I feel like I don't have to hide anything any more!
I am now asking for your help!
Please take a look at our sponsor page, any donation large or small would go a long way to help
Thank you everyone
Ali xx
http://www.justgiving.com/Alison-Amelia-Helen

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Ali :D

I have visited your sponsor page. ;):D It is so good to hear that the meds you are on, are doing their job and that you are feeling positive. Being optimistic goes a long way to helping us with this disease, well I believe so anyway.

Have a great time on the Ridgeway, hiking with your friends and do let us know how you go on.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Message for the Mods

Can we have some sort of endorsement with this kind of post as otherwise we have no idea if it's genuine or not.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    Options
    It is most definitely genuine, Sticky and a wonderful gesture by Ali and her two friends, but best wait for the mods to clarify this.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Stickywicket,

I've checked the links and all is as it should be. Alisunny, good for you taking on such a challenge, a novel way to check your meds are working well!

Good luck

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Thanks, Mods.

Ali, I'm very impressed with your method of checking if the meds are working :o though I won't be emulating you. :wink: I wish you, and your friends, every success but I do hope you'll remember you do have arthritis and, if things get tough, do whatever you need to do, including backing out. I'm a big advocate of exercise but strenuous exercise to a deadline is another matter.

Good luck, to all of you and well done on 'coming out' about your RA.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • alisunny
    alisunny Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi,

Elna Thank you for very much visiting the page and the sponsorship.

I have had a bit of a mental weekend but I am glad now the arthritis is out in the open so to speak! I definately feel lighter for it which is good.

Sorry Sticky, didn't even cross my mind about the fact that people would put stuff on here thats not genuine....
    Thanks for the advice, the 2 people I am walking with are pretty good - I work with oe of them so sometimes I think she knows me better than I know myself! They won't let me continue if its too much

Ali xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Ali

I think it is great that you have spoken to others about your arthritis and why you are doing the walk. It sounds like you have two great friends. We only need one or two really good mates that we know we can rely on through thick and thin and vice versa. There is always family but friends are different, aren't they? ;):)

Have you thought about writing a blog?

It is great to hear that you are doing ok on the meds and you are sounding very positive which is the best way to be. Unfortunately we cannot undo what has been but we can go forward in the best way possible, which you appear to be doing. :D

Hugs to you
    Elna x