Just fallen

Options
Christimay
Christimay Member Posts: 112
edited 25. Jul 2012, 11:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone ive had a bad fall this morning waiting for g doc phoning back my left knee gave way and I fell backwards bottom of back and hip in agony any one know something for pain while waiting took my meds but is ther anything else I could do hot Orr cold compress? Thanks in advance

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh you poor love. Definitely cold I would have thought to numb the pain. Have you anything frozen you can put on it but defo not straight onto the skin. Put a cloth on your skin first. i hope you are not alone at this time.

Gentle hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I’m sorry to hear of your fall, Christimay. If you’ve taken your meds I think all you can do is make yourself as comfortable as possible (On the bed? In a chair with cushions?) and, if you have someone with you, ask them to make you a cup of tea.

You can always try heat or ice but I guess which would help would depend on what you’ve done. Maybe NHS Direct could talk you through this.

I hope there’s no lasting damage.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hope you have got something done by now,left us know how you get on.Mig
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    just seen this do hope something sorted by now which hazel helps bring bruising out quicker good luck val
    val
  • Christimay
    Options
    Hi everyone it's 7hours after first call to g doc,I'm still waiting for them, they put me down as a high priority they knew I was in a lot of pain, listening to me the told me not to take any more meds till seen by g doc 5 phone calls later apologising for doc not being yet, they now say take more meds still don't know when he will be, pain is terrible and am so tired I feel like I could sleep for a week, its a joke how we are treated, the last time I needed them I waited for 12 hrs then got a morphine injection and tramadol didn't seem to make much difference what's the wait time like where you stay thanks for all your replies xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Can you get someone to take you to A&E?
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Christimay

As Sal says have you anyone that could take you to A&E? I have a feeling you may not, or you would have gone.

All I can suggest is that if the pain gets so bad you cannot bear it and no one has bothered get to you to assess you then I would dial for an ambulance.

What awful treatment or rather non treatment you have had today and the last time you needed help too. I am so sorry. It is heart breaking.

Gentle hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • vwkamper
    vwkamper Member Posts: 132
    Options
    Hi,

I hope you got sorted by now,
    It's not nice when you take a fall and your doc wasn't very helpful!

Hope your feeling better.

lexy
    P.M.A Positive Mental Attitude.
  • Christimay
    Options
    Hi everyone gp arrived 11 pm could not have been nicer or more efficient he examined me ans said the bottom of my spine was badly bruised and very swollen as was my left hip he wanted to admit me to hosp but I told him there was no way I could go as was on my own in the house with the children he phoned the hosp as he was worried about my bulging spine, so I have to go in to my my local hosp today to have my spine exrayed the city hosp is over an hour where I live at and I couldn't have travelled there last night. My oldest boy helped me as much as he could he is my hero, sorry my second oldest the other one was working, don't know how I could cope without him and my mum, but just feel so guilty that their lives have to be spent looking after me it should be the other way round,unfortunately my husbands first and only priority is his work thank you all so much for yor kindness and concern I wish I could give you all a hug to show my appreciation god bless you all so wish I'd known about you sooner xxxxxxxxx
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi Christimay, I somehow missed this.
    How appalling to be treated this way. It must have been frightening too.
    I hope all goes well at the hospital, and you're not in pain for too long.
    Wishing you well,
    Numpty
  • mig
    Options
    Hope you have not done too much damage.(((()))) Mig
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    ooh you poor love .

Hope you have not done too much damage .

karen (((()))xxx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Christimay

You need the gentle hugs not us :) So relieved to know that the medic finally arrived and was kind and efficient. Good to hear too that you were not alone all that time.

Hope you will be ok getting your xray done. Do let us know how you go on. Your son is a hero and your mum too. They must have been so worried about you whilst waiting for the dr.

Gentle hugs
    Elna x

• Rewter
    Rewter Member Posts: 77
    Options
    I hope everything is feeling better for you and all goes well at the hospital. :)

I am really disgruntled though that you have had to endure such pain and discomforrt for close on 12 hours whilst your local health care proffesional gets their act together. That really is unaccaptable. :x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Dear Christimay, I'm so sorry you had such a nasty fall, it is so horrible when your legs just give way without warning, I suffer with this, I use crutches in the house as to steady me. I hope you get the x-ray done on your spine, it's very important you do that today. You are lucky when you fell that you didn't break a bone in your spine you could have paralysed yourself if you had moved! I suggest you keep a phone on you when your in the house so if this ever happened again (fingers crossed it never does) and put important numbers in the phone a must is NHS Direct they have helped me on a number of times with myself and OH! and of course your dr. And people who could help you friends,family and if you have any good ones neighbours. And my next door neighour has a key to my house (so fingers crossed it never does) if anything ever happened to me she can get in and help. I hope you will be ok and I send you soft ((((HUGS)))).
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I’m glad the GP was good, kind and efficient when he finally arrived but what a traumatic day for you! I do hope the X-ray shows no permanent damage. Soft tissue injuries are painful but more easily dealt with.

It sounds as if you have some good sons, Christimay. Maybe, when you’re feeling a bit better, you, they and your husband could get together to see how things could be arranged more easily for you so that you can cope more independently. Have you seen an Occupational Therapist? They might be able to help with things.

I hope they’ve managed to give you something to help with the pain in your poor back.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hope your all right today Christimay, sending you (((HUGS)))
  • Christimay
    Options
    Hi again been to the gp and had my exrays done gp says I have a broken bone at the bottom of my spine does any one know how lon it takes to heal and is there any dos or donts I didn't get much feedback from gp. Thank you all from my treasure chest you're worth more than any treasurexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • mig
    Options
    Hope you heal quickly.Mig
  • bubbadog
    Options
    You just need to rest Christimay, and be very careful remember you have a break in a very delicate area!
  • Christimay
    Options
    Thank you all you're so kind, was at gp yesterday he gave me more painkillers and examined me and said there was a broken bone at the bottom of my back,then I had my exrays done in the afternoon ,I have to wait 10 days for results in pain but the worst thing is the feeling of wanting to rest.
    All the time. Thanks again for your kindness xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx