Difference in leg length

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 25. Jul 2012, 15:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Reading stickywicket's reply to pegleg, my replacement hip has made my leg 3/4" longer and when I catch my shadow on the ground I look as if I have had one too many as I sway from side to side. My consultant obviously is aware of this and called it a Trendelenburg limp but didn't seem unduly bothered. Have often thought to myself about using a heel raise but my osteopath didn't think it would help. However my swaying does pull my lower back about. Opinions anybody?

What a gorgeous day!

Janet x

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Janet

I do not know that many people who have had a hip replacement but the ones that I see do have a sort of gait as they usually end up with one leg shorter than the other to varying degrees. I googled Trendelenburg limp and there is help out there from Pilates teachers who knows about this and also a physios if they are well up on what exercises to give. There is also a machine that one can use to help strengthen the weak bits if yu can find a physio or pilates teacher with one. I don't suppose your consultant is particularly bothered because it is not him left with the limp. As you probably are aware it is associated with a weakness of the gluteus medius. It is characterised by the dropping of the pelvis on the unaffected side of the body at the moment of heelstrike on the affected side.

It is indeed a gorgeous day and I have been able to do things in the garden and it has been so enjoyable and I have just come in for a sit down at the pc before I venture out there again. :D

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jilly
    jilly Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Hi Janet , i have the same problem I have a difference of 1 and a quarter inch which makes me roll when i walk and causes me a lot of back pain .
    I have built up shoes which do help .
    It is about 5 years since i had mine replaced and since have had my knees replaced

I think it helps to have a built up shoe but everyone is different, I would ask to try them it may help you .You will be amazed how much better you will walk . I hope you can sort it out it is horrible having a roll when you walk ..good luck .......jillyx
  • pegleg
    pegleg Member Posts: 139
    Options
    I have to wear an insole in my shoes , which really restricts what type of shoe I can wear :( . If I want to wear flip flops , trainers ect I just have to limp so can't walk for long before my back hurts , the only type of shoe I can wear are baseball type boots , which are ok with my jeans and shorts but look stupid with skirts ect :( , I've just learn't to live with it . I get my insoles from the hospital , they get specially made for you and the people are fantastic and make sure I'm standing perfectly level :) xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    If your consultant, your osteopath and you are all happy, then stick with things as they are. My situation was different. I have to use surgical shoes and, after my last TKR, I noticed that the new knee was under pressure because that leg had lengthened slightly. Orthotics finally got my shoes to make up the difference and I was OK from there.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Many thanks everyone for your comments. I'll give my left shoe some serious thought.

Looks as if it is going to be another gorgeous day.

Janet x
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Hello Janet.
    i'm the same i was born with one leg shorter than the other i have insoles but i still wobblefrom side to side.
    yes its a lovely day here too
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    I have one shoulder higher than the other and one leg. Seems to be a fairly common thing? Also have a booby bigger than than the other one (I know a lot of women do). Goes to show we are not all meant to look the same :P
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Your comments made me chuckle mouseymousey.

I'm by myself this evening so I'm going to stand naked in front of the mirror
    to see what other odd bits and pieces I have. Shall make sure I've got the curtains closed first - don't want the neighbours peeping in.

When I was recovering from my hip op, I was sitting on the edge of the bed drying after a shower just two feet from the window, when I heard a noise, looked up and there was (yes you've got it right), the window cleaner. Couldn't exactly move, so I just sat there with the towel over me. Hubby came bounding in and said "the window cleaner is here!" I replied "I'm aware of that and be quiet because the window is open."

Janet xx