Rheumatology Appointment.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 24. Jul 2012, 18:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
What a grand start to the week - 9am in rheumatology. :roll: The outcome is:

I have to go and see a GP to be referred to orthopaedics for a carpal tunnel assessment. My consultant's opinion is that surgery is required as my right hand is now fizzing much more often.

She can (and hopefully will) refer me to orthotics to see if anything can be done to help my flat feet, hurty toes and falling-inwards ankles.

I have a lump on the back of my left ankle which she does not understand so I have to take a blast of steroids (damn) for five days. If it goes then it's inflammation and if it doesn't hopefully orthotics will be able to sort something. She got me to stand on my tip-toes (YIKES!) to make sure it wasn't Achilles tendon-related and it doesn't seem to be.

She also prodded, pulled, twisted and bent various bits of me that don't like that sort of treatment so I am now sprawled on the sofa in some discomfort. Borrox. Oh, and I was given another pair of working splints plus an information booklet about them which is an interesting read.

I hope you are all more comfy than me and enjoying the sunshine. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Aw DD, I do hope your week improves.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    A bit of a curate’s egg of an appointment then, DD?

Carpal tunnel? Well, no-one volunteers for surgery but, if it needs doing, best to get the show on the road.

Orthotics? A good orthotist can make a massive difference, not just to your foot comfort but also to the stability and (lack of) pain of the bigger joints above. (Then there are the other kind :roll: )

Blast of steroids? Yummy! Bring ‘em on! Let’s forget about the afters.

Tip toes :o No, you’ve lost me there.

More splints? You’re going to have to start naming them. I think Norman & Stanley would be up to the ‘working splints’ task. Maybe Morpheus and Hypnos for sleep. I can’t remember what others you have.

I’m hoping to enjoy the sunshine later if the gale doesn’t blow me out of the garden.

Rest up now and recover.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Oh DD

How rotten for you , Tippy Toes Yikes been there :shock: .Hope you feel better soon , keep relaxing on the sofa . And try to enjoy sunshine :)

karen xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Heck DD they put you through the mill,hope i did'nt miss pocket duties,hugging now to make up for them.(((((())))))Mig
  • JuliaHod12
    JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
    Options
    oh gawd DD..............sounds dreadul :-(

rest up & take good care xx
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hey DD

Sorry you are now hurting from your morning's "extertions" as well as the normal hurty bits. :cry: Sorry too that there are now more referrals etc imminent. BUT (trying to be positive here) I am really pleased that the consultant is taking steps (sorry, probably the wrong phrase but you know what I mean :roll:) to help you manage all this and hopefully the suggested "things" will help. I know you aren't pleased about the steroids but, as Sticky says, enjoy it while you can - and, I might add, you can do so guilt free cos you are only doing what you are told :lol:

Thinking of you.

Tillyxxx
  • kathe
    kathe Member Posts: 183
    Options
    So sorry to hear that you struggling..
    Hope you feel better soon and can enjoy the sunshine.
    :)
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Ouch!! I empathise with the joints being pulled about, it hurts. An orthopedic consult will be a good thing for you.

Take care and rest up :D
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Oh DD, I'm sorry that wasn't a very pleasant appointment.
    As for the carpal tunnel surgery, I think you were expecting that really, though it's still a blow when you're told. :(
    I hope you've had a chance to rest, and are feeling better, and less sore now.
    Thinking of you,
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you one and all, I appreciate your kind words. I am not the slightest bit fazed by the prospect of surgery - I happen to love it as it usually means stuff'll get better rather than keep deteriorating so what's not to like? :) Teh tip-toes bit was to see if my Achilles tendon was OK and it seems to be so that's a good thing. As for the rest of it, I shall wait and see.

I thundered into town in Daisycar, I had to go to M&S to exchange a hat, and I found two Tshirts in their sale, both two sizes too big but I care not, they look OK. They tend to the nautical as they are white with well-spaced but narrow stripes of navy. V smart. They have cheered me as has the new wine box from Sainsbriz. :wink:

Right, it's meat ball time. :roll: I dislike cooking. Immensely. DD
  • refereerick
    refereerick Member Posts: 71
    Options
    Hi DD,
    Sounds like you've had a fun day with the old Arthritis :roll: Good that you've got a positive attitude towards things, as you say if you have to have to have surgery its only going to improve things for you.
    As for shopping trip too at least you can say you've been to the hospital and got the t-shirt! :?
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Options
    DD
    I hate the pushing and pulling of all joints we spend so long protecting, I end up sore for weeks.

Good luck with the ortho lot I do hope they help with everything I had some in my shoes years ago and they sorted things out nicely.

As for the carpal tunnel its sensible to get that done as soon as they can.

I know you dislike the steroids but if it helps to differentiate the 2 culprits its worth a shot.

Enjoy the wine! :)
    Ruby
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I know it's ridiculous but I am sulking. Good and proper and for no good reason. :roll: Hey-ho. My thinking is that the sulking helps the acceptance - I hope I'm right. My right hand is fizzing like a good 'un and has done so for much of the day. No matter, the splint will help, it has so far and I am sure it will tonight. DD
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi pal you been having bit of a time of it hope it gets sorted soon take care enjoy sunshine if you can val
    val
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    It's not ridiculous. There is a good reason - several - and you're probably right that it does help towards acceptance. Don't fight it. Just accept it and run with it. (OK, maybe not 'run'.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Morning DD ,How you feeling now after all the pulling and prodding ?hope this warm weather will help.(((()))) Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Morning DD
    I hope you don't feel to sore today, and that they have given some good news has well as the bad...but like you say,,surgery will make things better...good thinking...I did go to the M&S sales but got knocked over...now a few years ago I would have been in there....anyway it saved me some money... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi DD,

Hope todays a better one and some of the doctor inflicted discomfort has damped down- but it's a good reason to sit in the garden and enjoy a good book!!!
    Deb
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Afternoon all, I can happily report that the joints are going hell-for-leather, simply because they can. Luckily all work for the day is done so I can act like a sloth for the next few hours. Mind you I would be even if the work wasn't done, sometimes things just cannot be done and that's a fact not worth gettting upset over. Anyhoo, I need to be very fit for tomorrow and Thursday as I have a couple of social-type things coming up, so resting is the form for today - plus I am very tired. Hey-ho.

I'm wearing one of my new tops - I'm looking very dapper! :wink: I have all the blinds drawn, some curtains too, to keep the house cool, it's baking outdoors. I can feel a snooze coming on - ye gods. :roll: DD
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    You have a nice rest, but don't crease your new top! :o
    I hope you have a lovely time tomorrow and thursday, you deserve it. :D
    All the best,
    Numpty
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    hello mi lovely.
    Sorry about the lack of response I'm a crap mate lately.. :roll:
    So, possible surgery eh?
    Well, if that's what is needed hun.. You know I'll be there to support throughout..
    Hope you are managing that rest you mentioned..
    It's very hot here but some storm clouds abrewing.. I luvs a good storm

Xxx YBH's by the bucket load xxx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Hi DD

sorry to hear about the carpal tunnel - I had that but was lucky enough that mine was resolved by better control of inflammation plus my various splints.
    Those people (and for some strange reason I know of at least 6) who have had the CT ops have all told me they wish they had had it done a lot earlier - so good luck with that!

As for the feet - I saw a podiatrist (not sure if that's who you get to see ) and got some insoles which have helped. Believe me it is indeed very good that your problem isn't achilles tendon related. Mine seems to have taken up residence and comes and goes at will - his not mine!

hope that the appt comes quickly and helps lots
    woky xxx