Fibro and OA it seems!

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 25. Jul 2012, 06:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello again!
I hope that the sunshine is helping you all to feel a bit better.

I visited the doctor today, not mine but another one in the practice as mine is off long term sick. He was nice and careing, but of course didn't really know me and all the things that have gone on! He took the time to quickly read through the notes and asked me questions about what other medics had told me. He says that in the opinion of the physio I last saw, I have fibro and early osteoarthritis, with a nerve entrapment in the neck.
He said the neuro dosn't want to do anything, as it could make things worse, but if the problems get really bad, I am to go back to the hospital. I'm OK with that, for me surgery is a last resort.
As for the fibro, I'm taking the correct medication for that, but the reason that its bad now is a flare and I must rest and do what my body tells me! He said, I must not push things and try and do too much but find a nice slow relaxing pace. Find as comfortable way of managing as possible and leave what I can't do. I'm finding this hard as I want to get on with life and do things, but he said you can get into a vicious circle of too much work causing stress which makes the pain worse, then panic and depression and they all feed on each other! It was all very sensible but I said I want to do more but he said thats not a good idea. Oh well, at least he was direct and understanding, with a sense of humour.
Sorry to write so much. Love Sue :wink:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well, you have your diagnosis and also some good advice, Sue,. Yes, it’s really hard, and boring, and irritating being sensible but there are times when we just have to do it. We’ve all done the work>pain>stress>depression thing and it’s not a good one. Better to ease up now and make the flare as short as possible, isn’t it?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Sue, that seems like a good appt. He listened to you and gave you sound advice. We all try to do more than we should, especially when we are used to being active.

I find resting between jobs helps a little and I have to plan ahead much more than I used to. I have to accept the house will not be spotless.

Try to save energy for pleasant things rather than thankless household chores is my tip!!!! :lol:

Take care
  • vwkamper
    vwkamper Member Posts: 132
    Options
    Hi,

I have fibro and oa in my whole spine :(

So i know where your coming from it's so easy for doc's to tell you to drop everything but then that made me feel like a vegetable.

I now have my daughter-in-law Nic come in once a week for an hour just to do the stuff i can't i rotate the jobs which just leaves me the little things.
    She's my angel.

So now i do what i can when i can and sometimes with a lot of swearing but then that makes me feel better.

lexy
    P.M.A Positive Mental Attitude.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    That did sound like a good appt! You have some answers and G.P listened to you and gave sound advice! Maybe he could be your No2. G.P as he was for you now. Hope you feel that you got somewhere with him, so get some rest and enjoy the sunshine. Take care.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello Thanks for the replies.

It was a good appointment, he was very easy to talk to and seemed to understand without offering false hope. My GP is good, but she has been off sick so long now and I have been seeing her locumn, and she was Ok but not so understanding.

I've had Fibro mentioned before but then told something else by another doctor at the hospital. Now I know the physio's diagnosis as well as other doctors I've seen and it seems a combination of OA and FA!!! Sounds silly but I feel better knowing that its all real, if you know what I mean. :wink:

The GP I saw is my husbands and looks after his diabetes and they get on really well, too well as his appointments last ages and he comes out having discussed gardening problems and music and call each other by their fist names!
    Anyway, Love Sue xxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    yes it always in back of our minds it going to be all in our heads so yes you will be happy to know it not but then shock kicks in as it sinks in more problems and pain but with good doc you will be looked after well val
    val