pain levels

Options
amet1
amet1 Member Posts: 45
edited 24. Jul 2012, 09:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
very stressed this week as brother in law died on sunday my pain levels are only getting down to a 3 at best after pain killers have kicked in and appt with dr not untill august 3rd, not even coping well with the 3 which i get for an hour at most untill the levels start rising again,i know stress makes it harder to deal with the pain, but have to survive this week for husband.cant keep crying when the levels rise,cant even sit for long, without pain increasing.tried baths but too hot for hot water bottle which usually helps ease pain and cold water bottles set off reynauds HELP anything that can help reduce pain without more painkillers need a short term fix.

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear this amet1, the only thing I can think of is steroid tablets. Either increase your dose short term, if you already take them, or start taking them if you don't.
    My consultant has told me to increase my dose any time I have a flare, as long as I decrease it gradually afterwards.
    Can you speak to your Consultant or nurse?
    Wishing you well,
    Numpty
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi there, so sorry to hear that you're having a tough time. I wonder whether any of the pain relief/anti imflammatry gels would help? Your pharmacist might be able to suggest something perhaps.

Deb
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm so sorry about the family news amet1, and I'm so sorry your suffering with pain on top of everything else. I really can't advise you as the others have suggested very good idea's. I just wanted to send a heart felt (((HUG))) to you
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Can you access acupuncture? You might be able to get a GP referral to physio for it. Big hugs and lots of support beaming your way to get through a tricky time LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    What a very difficult time for you this must be, I am so sorry to read your sad news.

Arthritis and pain both react positively to stress whether it be enotional or physical. I don't know what pain relief you are currently taking but if you apply topical creams to try to help further please ensure that you are not exceeding the dosage of the active ingredients. It may be worth a trip to see your GP to chat things over with them - they may suggest a short course of anti-depressants to help tide you over. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear of your sad news, amet1 and, yes, as the others have said, stress will make the joints worse. You already have some excellent advice. I hope some of what's been suggested will help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright