Helen's Bilateral TKR

Options
124»

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm pleased you have been able to shed the stocking - they're horrible things aren't they? Keep up with the exercises and resting, both will help the healing and don't drive too far at first. Please inform your insurers that you have had a TKR else your insurance could be invalid if a crash occurs (that's what I was told). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    Hi Steve, marrianne, pegleg, Julia and any other recent new knee people. Probably about time I came back and gave you an update....

I had a physio appointment today. She expressed amazement at how well the scars have healed, how well I bend my knees, how well everything is going in fact. I guess I have really good powers of recuperation, or all the exercising really works, or high potency arnica works, or I'm very lucky, or maybe all of the above. I asked about over/under exercising, and she said everyone is different, but I seemed to have got it right for me. Good to know! She also gave me some new exercises, and told me to keep using one crutch out of doors for a bit - I'd turned up without any, though they were in the car. And I'm now booked in for her once weekly gym class, which sounds like it might be sociable and fun!

I'm still trying to find out about the driving thing. I had a go in our private car park on Sunday afternoon - manoeuvring, three point turn, emergency stop. No pain or problems at all. I phoned my insurance broker who said the doctor has to OK it, but that's all. I phoned the surgeon's secretary, and she said they usually recommend (note the word 'recommend') 6 to 8 weeks, but she'd ask him for me on Thursday when she next saw him. I've researched the legal situation, and it's grey and changing, and definitely not the same as it was only a few years ago (long story, but that seems to be the case). It's annoying, and hard on my partner who's ferrying me everywhere. It's not just us knee/hip people; it seems to be a blanket thing after surgery; a friend who had a caesarian was told the same 6 week thing. I'll keep on and see what I can do, but I suspect the time will be up before everyone finishes procrastinating and passing the buck. :cry:

That's about it really. Hope everyone is having a good day,.
  • JuliaHod12
    JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
    Options
    great news Helen :-)

whatever you are doing seems to be working for you.......so it must be right!

best wishes for a continued good recovery, hope yoi manage to resolve the driving issue soon as it seems to be difficult for you.
    I personally don't drive anyway, but am fortunate that my hubby has a flexible working arrangement which allows him to ferry me around wherever i need to go.

Julia x