aching calf muscles

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 30. Jul 2012, 11:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone else suffer from aching calf muscles in this hot weather?
Not a big problem I know, but have tried rubbing various oils and gels in
without success.

Janet :o

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Janet

I often have aching calf muscles but it doesn't seem, for me, to be connected to the heat. Like you I have not found that rubbing them with anything helps much so will be interested to hear what others have to say. Maybe we will get some good tips!

Tillyxxx
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Options
    BANANAS

No NOT you, try eating a Banana. I have found it helps me. hope it helps u too. xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Will certainly try bananas. Someone else suggested tonic water because of the quinine content, though I don't suppose it will work if I add some gin.

Janet
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Quinine (tonic) and potassium (bananas) are usually suggested on here for cramp but you never know they may ease the aches too, so knock back a G & lots of T with ice and a slice of 'narna. :wink: My calf muscles ache but I put that down to not walking well. It's pretty grim at times, isn't it? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Well, what with all the wine flowing with my forum friends in the freezer and now a bottle of gin, I shall be so sozzled I won't know if anything hurts let alone be able to walk.

Have a good weekend.

Janet x
  • SteveBurns
    SteveBurns Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Hi my calf muscles have ached for years now, especially when climbing stairs or riding the bike.

I asked my consultant about it and he confirmed it was due to the arthritis in my knees.

Following my recent TKR in the right knee I no longer suffer that calf aching but I do still get the other one aching, even more now as I use the left leg on every stair.

My right calf used to cramp a lot in bed at night but no longer suffer that either.

I suppose I'm getting some benefits of the TKR already.

I don't know what you can do to relieve it, if there is anything apart from having the knee replaced.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I get very achey calf muscles, mostly due to bad walking but also I have tight achilles tendons. Gentle stretching (and I do mean, very gentle!) helps me a lot. A nice hot bath helps a lot too.
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Thank you Steve and Starburst for your tips. Although I do have arthritis in both knees, they haven't got to the replacement stage yet and I am beginning to wonder if the aching and cramping at night is being caused by the way I now walk with my THR. In the last few days I have noticed a definite improvement as I have been following tips like eating bananas and drinking tonic water and also making sure I walk properly ie heel, toe, heel, toe instead of with flat feet.

Janet