Nausea and stomach pain - any ideas?

Options
tillytop
tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
edited 28. Jul 2012, 19:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello peeps

I know we are not medics but just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on my little conundrum.

For months and months now (actually, probably at least a year) I have spent the first 2 - 3 hours (sometimes longer) of every single morning literally "paralysed" by nausea and stomach discomfort. Doesn't matter what time I get up - even if it is the middle of the night - and I just have to sit through it until it eventually passes. (And no, before anyone makes any "witty comments" about pregnancy related morning sickness - that is definitely NOT the cause :roll: ).

It is not the same as my usual ongoing stomach pain and I have tried everything I can think of to help - moved as many of my pills as possible to earlier in the day, not eating late at night, eating only bland foods and nothing helps.

Given how long this has been going on, I know I probably should go to the GP but, like most of us I guess, you get so used to feeling rough that you just get on with it. Also I suspect the GP will simply blame the meds (10+ at the last count) - none of which I can stop taking. It's definitely not Ritux related cos it's been going on longer than that.

So the point of my post really is just to find out if anyone else has the same problem - and any suggestions of what I could do to help cos, on top of everything else, it is really getting me down.

Thanks,

Tillyxxx

Comments

• fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Sticky

Sorry i cannot help you :( I normally have an orange or tangerine for the nausea or some cold milk .I have to make sure i do not eat after 8 oclock :(otherwise like you i am up :( Stomache cramps i just take paracetomol .Sorry .

Hope you get some better replies soon .xxx

karen.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    sticky how awfull i feeling much the same at moment so get where you are coming from think it stomach prob causing mine but hurts like :x :mrgreen::o next time you at rhummy or doc you must mention it could be lots of things and it might just be a simple tab to sort it out good luck let us know val
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    Ouch Tilly :(

Sounds very painful - uncomfortable and downright miserable :(

I can totally see your dilemma....you need the meds you take so don't want to be off them :(

I wonder whether it could be something like IBS??? Mind even that you need to see a doc for a diagnosis, but it IS treatable.

In your shoes the doc would be where I would have to go :roll: I understand your reluctance to go 'yet again'. I HATE going with a passion :oops:

Prepared to come along with you though and hold your hand? :? If it would help at all....

Love and hugs and Purrs

Toni and Daisycat xxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Ouch Tilly :(

Sounds very painful - uncomfortable and downright miserable :(

I can totally see your dilemma....you need the meds you take so don't want to be off them :(

I wonder whether it could be something like IBS??? Mind even that you need to see a doc for a diagnosis, but it IS treatable.

In your shoes the doc would be where I would have to go :roll: I understand your reluctance to go 'yet again'. I HATE going with a passion :oops:

Prepared to come along with you though and hold your hand? :? If it would help at all....

Love and hugs and Purrs

Toni and Daisycat xxx

looks like that an offer you can not turn down ((())) val
    val
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Tilly have you tried anti sickness meds? My Aza is making me feel nauseous in the morning and I took an anti sickness med and it helped. Otherwise I think thrush can make you feel sick, mind you after 12 months :shock:

Do you take lansoprazole or similar for heartburn? Have you tried hot water with a slice of lemon first thing in the morning? That is good for the system.

Other than that I suck menthol sweets for the nausea.

However you know yourself you need to see the doc. Wish I could help more but I will be beside you in the docs office noisily eating crisps :lol:
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    fowls48 wrote:
    Oh Sticky

Sorry i cannot help you :( I normally have an orange or tangerine for the nausea or some cold milk .I have to make sure i do not eat after 8 oclock :(otherwise like you i am up :( Stomache cramps i just take paracetomol .Sorry .

Hope you get some better replies soon .xxx

karen.

Sorry tilly

I,m in a tis was this morning and i'm wearing me Glasses :oops:
  • earthspirit
    earthspirit Bots Posts: 278
    Options
    i dont know if you mean you actually are sick or just the feeling of sick.

this RA "sickness" from which i suffer is just part of the RA i keep being told. for me, it is worse than dealing with the pain as it makes you feel so rough.

im not on any rheumatology drugs, just the pain meds and take aspirin and lanzoprasole. dr said bits of pain in different part of my stomach and intestines are just "sore" bits caused by years of NSAIs. she did not advise taking any more meds, just said that less is better for the healing of my tummy.

ive just back from the research unit & was told there this is part & parcel of the disease and that most people with a severe condition feel exactly the same most days.

so now im meant to feel happy about the days i dont feel like s**t :lol:

hope you arent suffering too much but you should just check yourself, as an individual, with your own GP who knows your body & condition
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Oh dear Tilly, it sounds horrible. My meds make me nauseous and uncomfortable- sometimes a glass of milk helps, or maybe peppermint tea which helps to settle the tummy-you can pick up peppermint teabags in most supermarkets- don't know about you but I've reached a stage where I'll try almost anything. Maybe another trip to the docs is called for though :? ?
    Deb
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply - and for your wise words.

Will reply properly when I can.

Tillyxxx
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Do you use any codeine based drugs? I once went ages with similar symptoms and didn't get it checked out for all the reasons we don't. In the end it was too disruptive so I slunk to the GP, muttering to myself all the while. She took one look at my meds and explained that some codeines are synthesised and do that, swapped me onto a different formulation and literally the next day all was well. It was a more expensive formulation and I think they sometimes go for cheapest options to save cash but I needed a different combo - like the ad says because I'm worth it :lol: . I hope you find a solution soon LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Tilly sounds like what I had a couple of years ago! Every morning wake up within 5mins of waking up stomach knoting, cramping nausea. I know you must have hundreds of things it could be rolling in your head. So I know it's time consuming but make a list of things you eat/ drink every morning. And make a list of the meds you take. And it's a case of crossing off each thing you can prove it isn't making you feel sick. I found I was dairy intolerant and cafine causes me migraines! And I always have something for breakfast (me I like a choc au pan) as it stops any nausea feeling from meds. Hope you find what is causing it soon sweetie it is horrible.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,942
    Options
    Hello Tillytop
    i'm so sorry that must make you feel tired and worn out.
    take care.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Oh Tilly you must be so fed up with this situation.Only thing i can suggest is to try ginger for nausea.Please try to see your gp for a check up we will help you with pocket duties.xx
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Tilly

Gaviscon is good and port + brandy for sorting your stomach, just equal part of each. Are you on any meds to protect your stomach? if not ask Dr. about some. If I was you I would mention it to Dr. it has been going on a long time

Love
    Vonski