daughter poorly & just diagnosed with IBD any advice?

Options
maria09
maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
edited 1. Aug 2012, 05:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
Just had a traumatic week last week
My daughter was rushed into hospital last week with low Hb of 5.4 needing 3 units of blood!
its such a long distressing story so the outcome is she has Ulcerative Colitis is on oral prednisolone plus vitb1 multi vits calcium & thiamine
Have appointment on fri at IBD clinic
Any advice abt the condition would help
Have read everything I can find on internet so mind boggles
Thank you
Maria

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi, just wanted to send some good wishes..
    I've got IBS and suspected IBD... I know that the sulfasalazine are helping my stomach. Im also on alverine and peppermint oil capsules.
    Don't know if that's any use.
    Good luck with everything :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Maria

Can i be dim and ask what IBD is, im guessing at Irritable Bowel Disease but could be totally way off the mark....Its great there's clinics for it if so...Ive got it myself..

Elainex
    maria09 wrote:
    Hi,
    Just had a traumatic week last week
    My daughter was rushed into hospital last week with low Hb of 5.4 needing 3 units of blood!
    its such a long distressing story so the outcome is she has Ulcerative Colitis is on oral prednisolone plus vitb1 multi vits calcium & thiamine
    Have appointment on fri at IBD clinic
    Any advice abt the condition would help
    Have read everything I can find on internet so mind boggles
    Thank you
    Maria
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    IBD is inflammatory bowel disease such as crohns or in this case ulcerative colitis.

I am sorry to hear this regarding your daughter,my cousin has this only recently diagnosed and is doing well now stabilised on meds.
  • maria09
    Options
    Thank you for your replies
    My daughter is doing well still taking steroids & starting mesalazine Then back to see the consultant
    Long may she continue to improve
    Maria
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear Maria09, what a blow for you and her. I'm pleased to read that she has some meds and I hope they kick in soon and help. Is her diet going to be a factor? How has your arthritis reacted to the stress? I hope it hasn't. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • maria09
    Options
    Thank you Dreamdaisy,
    My arthritis is playing up but thats nothing new!
    My stress levels are sky high as im also trying to go down the ill health route at work!
    My daughter is doing ok but she keeps having little blips & becomes so upset & angry all which I dont blame her!
    I wish it was me going through it not her shes nearly 18, well 18 on saturday she should be out enjoying herself not at home stressing
    Hopefully she will have a good time out with her friends on sat it will be the first time in months since she has been out!
    That was the day we were going to Italy on holiday but its not to be
    She has omited lactose from her diet as this was causing severe stomach pain
    She is on prednisolone 30mgs & is suffering from sleepless nights & always hungry
    She is now working untill she starts uni luckily its close to home so I can be around when she needs me.
    Didnt realise I had written an essay
    Thanks for listening
    Maria
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Lactose is difficult for humans to digest so hopefully cutting it out should help her. I'm not surprised she's struggling with this and I'm not surprised you're struggling too. Toough times for you both, yes? I'm sorry that you have had to abandon your holiday, I reckon you both could do with one but maybe later, when things have settled a little, you can go and both reap the benefit it can offer. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Maria
    I am sorry I cant offer any help, but I can offer my support, its awful when your children are poorly, and so hard on you.
    I really wish her well with the treatment, and here some hugs for you ((((()))...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • maria09
    Options
    thank you both for your replies
    & thank you for the hugs Barbara
    Maria x