Methotrexate and MMR

Options
Scarlet
Scarlet Member Posts: 40
edited 25. Jul 2012, 07:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone,
I'm 27, have RA and i'm on 20mg methotrexate a week. I received a letter from my doctors surgery last week saying I may not be up to date with my MMR vaccine.
However I spoke to a nurse at the surgery who told me MMR is a live vaccine, and that I need to discuss this with my hospital consultant at my next appointment (whenever that may be, I'm waiting for an appointment at the mo). Because mtx weakens the immune system I shouldn't really have any live vaccines.
Has anyone else any experience of this? I don't want to have to come off the mtx as its working so well, but I don't want to have the vaccine whilst taking it and end up developing one of the diseases! The nurse mentioned that the diseases are very dangerous for pregnant women, although I'm not planning on starting a family for a good few years.
Obviously I will discuss this with my rheumatologist but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Comments

• fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Scarlet

Sorry i cannot help much i have RA and also on meth .I do know that if you do not get any symptoms from a vaccine that it has not worked :?: Been to many arabic countries in my youth .I would wait and talk to the consultant or maybe to your GP and make your descision from There .
    someone will be along shortly and will be able to your mind at ease .

karen xx