Gabapentin Does Work

Options
PollySid
PollySid Member Posts: 343
edited 27. Jul 2012, 04:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Since the swimming 'incident' (where I went swimming for 10 minutes and couldn't hardly move for a week) I have not managed to get rid of the nasty nerve pain down my leg.

My GP suggested I up the Gabapentin to 3 times a day instead of twice.
I did this but as I was not convinced the Gabapentin worked very well did not expect results.
I thought it was the warmer weather that had made me feel able to do a bit more around the house and garden.

Yesterday was our 23rd wedding anniversary. Alan likes fishing so I suggested we take a picnic and go to the local lakes for the morning.
It was lovely, sun was out, reeds rustling, ducks quacking and bees buzzing.
I sat in the lounger and sewed my little mohair bears whilst he caught fish (not much bigger than goldfish I may add :lol: ).

I had packed my pills, but when I went to take them realised I had forgotten the Gabapentin.
Not worried, I took the others.

Boy, did I know by the afternoon that the Gabapentin do work. We called at the DIY shop to get some wood and I was in agony and could hardly walk. I made sure I took my evening dose and will give them more respect in future.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Polly
    I take gabapentin for nerve pain coming from my back , I did try to come off it, but boy did I know about it, I'm so glad it is working well for you.
    Long may it continue xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I have chorinc neuropathic pain syndrome from untreated OA in my neck it was kicked off from a bouble knee OP in 2008 and I was given Pregablin for it and it made me sick as a pig and then I was switched to Gabapentin and it helped first off but I got a really dangerous side effect from it, firstly when I increased the dose I started to see things that wern't there this got really freaky and was like some type of CGI from the Matrix but the worst one was I didn't see some things this included cars!, I pulled out a couple of time only to have a car go tearing past me blarring their horn and yet I looked and they wern't there but they were so I came of of it and now I use another more natural "orgainic" treatment for my CNPS and it works well with no sied effects for me but as of yet this country has to sort it's self and play catch up with the rest of the world as were lagging way behind right now.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    When your on a zillion tablets for several different things your not sure what works and what's not (except for the constipation meds!). It's not till your G.P decides to change things round that you find out what's helping and what's not! The only thing's I'm sure are working are M.S.T & Oro-morph because of the side effects!! :roll:
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Pollysid

Heck its always the way isnt it, if you dont take something with you, thinking you'll be fine for a wee while that its never the case....On the upside it sounds like you had a lovely afternoon with your hubby by the riverbank until the soreness kicked in..
    This always happens to me when i go away, the one thing i dont pack be it pills or ointment, i need it...However i end up taking half a chemists supply with me and everyone has a remedy for their ailments as ive normally got it covered!

Elainex
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Polly
    I take gabapentin for nerve pain coming from my back , I did try to come off it, but boy did I know about it, I'm so glad it is working well for you.
    Long may it continue xx

That is what mine is for Barbara. It is much worse today, even with the Gabapentin. The shin bone in my leg feels as if it is on fire and I have a terrible aching pain in my upper leg. My legs are not working properly either, so I think the messages aren't getting through properly.
    It has never righted itself since I went swimming. That was a big mistake I think.
    Oh well, I go for my MRI in a week, so we'll see what that turns up.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    Hi Polly

well at least you know now.

The good thing about them for me was they were the only medication that I never had side effects on :D

Got up to 3600mg a day though and no effect.

I am so so glad they work for you anyway.

Take care and hope you feel better soon.

Love

Toni xxx