RA - the disease that hides behind doors

Options
earthspirit
earthspirit Bots Posts: 278
edited 26. Jul 2012, 10:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
been having very indepth talks with health professionals.

all arthur is bad. people needing joint replacements are in lots of pain and disability but there is life after the ops. most are quite successful and the person might never suffer any other joint pain.

with RA, there are different people, those with severe disease who are not really on these forms, who take the meds, but who are still incapable of any normal form or quality of life. they are not candidates for joint replacement, they do not have other health issues but they are incapable of caring for themselves.

many never leave their homes, even though support is there. they are the ones who have totally lost confidence due to the pain and incapacity.

they receive lots of help. they get the financial assistance too.

they are spending virtually years and years in excrutiating agony but still alive with no life.

i have just been told and had my eyes opened big time wide, about how hidden this disease really is in society.

there was a lady on the forum last week or two, i cant find her post, who had dreadlock hair and had big problems with washing. i hope she gets all the care she was obviously lacking as people like her are in total suffering.

i can so glad for what i am still able to do. i am well aware of my sometimes own odd apearance as i stuggle and hobble along without the use of sticks or anything else, as my shoulders, neck wrist & arms are too weak to hold them.

those of us who have this disease and are still able to participate on any level with the outside world, really do have to educate people about our disease, for the ones who are hidden behind closed doors.

i dont mean this to sound grim just reality

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    What a cracking post.
    I couldn't agree more - only yesterday, when asked why I had a wrist brace on got that slap in the face reply 'you don't have arthritis, it's what old people get' I left the poor lady with more information that she could have ever wished for!
    Nice one Earthspirit and how altruistic of you, lets get teaching, I'm with you on this!! :) LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    What a cracking post.
    I couldn't agree more - only yesterday, when asked why I had a wrist brace on got that slap in the face reply 'you don't have arthritis, it's what old people get' I left the poor lady with more information that she could have ever wished for!
    Nice one Earthspirit and how altruistic of you, lets get teaching, I'm with you on this!! :) LV xx
    Well Done LV Good for you these people need Educating .
  • earthspirit
    earthspirit Bots Posts: 278
    Options
    its like the dark old days when ilness and weakness were hidden behind closed doors. as in the shame of it all. when we go out we try to look as well as we can, that we are coping but there is a still a level of discrimination out there about old arthur. its still a world where the old cripple shouldnt be seen. we should have armbands or little badges so at least people can say "whats that?"