Benefits Help.

Options
skineddie
skineddie Member Posts: 10
edited 27. Jul 2012, 04:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,
At the moment I am employed full-time but as I now have been signed off sick for the foreseeable future I am only receiving SSP from my employer. I will shortly be registering as Disabled until I have my THR & am back to full fitness & I was wondering what benefits are available to me at the moment (including the ones they don't tell you about). I am a single Male with a mortgage & 4 dogs to care for (Great Dane, German Shepherd, Staffy & Corgi).
Your help would me greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks.
Eddie Rimmer.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Eddie

Just a quick welcome from me :)

I am certainly no benefits expert and would totally recommend that you contact CAB or even DIAL for proper advice. Having said that....I am pretty sure that the SSP will after a certain amount of time become ESA (employment support allowance?).

You could peruse the Direct GOV website too because there are so many possibilities, but each case is different.

Have you got mortgage protection? I had when I had my back surgery, but it didn't come into action until I had been off for 26 weeks so was no help :( I was a single parent with two kids 5 and 8.

I can see your dogs mean the world to you :wink: They will help you mentally so much :)

Good luck with the impending op.....how soon is it due?

Love

Toni xx
  • skineddie
    Options
    Mornin Frog,
    I see the consultant @ Macclesfield Hospital (miles away from where I live) on 7th August. Then I will have to wait to get booked in for the Pre-Op Assesment then I will find out how long the waiting list is.
  • skineddie
    Options
    Sorry Toni,
    Am still trying to navigate through this site as I joined yesterday.
    Luv n Hugs,
    Eddie.
    xxx
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    Hi Eddie,

I'm far from being a benefits expert. However, when my knees got really bad and it became clear surgery was the only option, I decided to apply for Disability Living Allowance. It took three months to process, by which time I'd had my TKRs - which really confused them as they were about to send out a doctor to see me based on my initial application! However, I heard last week that I'd got it for a year (backdated to when I applied) - which is hopefully all I'll need to get back to normal. So definitely worth trying that, although, as someone else said, it may be better to go to the CAB first and get the full lowdown. And either get help with the DLA forms, or read up about them; some of the questions are a bit sneaky!
  • skineddie
    Options
    Thanks Helen, I will be exploring every avenue available to me thanks to your and any other posts. xxx.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Eddie

You are doing just fine!

this forum was my first ever 'go' on this sort of place too :wink:

Love

Toni xxx